How does your garden grow?

2 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

I’d love some wild garlic, there’s a road near us where it grows in abundance but I read somewhere it’s illegal to dig it up

If you were closer, you’d be welcome to plenty of it. It grows on the bank of the stream that run alongside my garden. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Garlic is coming up strong, ditto all my transplanted bluebells. I hope they take in the shadiest part of the garden. Even the rhubarb i put in last year that was looking very sorry for itself looks like its alive. 

Prevented 'shroom based Lawnageddon this winter and even cleared the leaves a few times but its still a bald mossy mess, so swings and roundabouts. In between everything else I need to do, its needs some work and a re-seeding asap.

• 1 month later...

Back to that time of year again, when you have a large plot it’s not easy to decide what you are going to do with it all. Last year we put up a fence at the back of the house about ten metres out to divide what we wanted as garden from what is essentially a paddock, we had decking built from the house and then you step down onto what is currently rough grass , seed spread quickly last year to give the appearance of a lawn. It’s been difficult trying to plan what to do with this area but we’ve just had a couple of walls built and it’s amazing how when you decide to do something like that you then begin to form a picture in your mind about how the rest should look,  it doesn’t all come to mind at once but bit by bit as you decide on one thing and get it done the next part sort of falls into place. I’m really looking forward to getting it all done before winter so that next year should be maintenance only!

• Like 2

I know what you mean.  I'm currently battling to get grass seed down to create a maintainable 'blank canvas' before actually deciding how to proceed with the garden proper. 

Over the last month I've put some fencing up to deter the Muntjac a bit, put 150 mixed native hedge plants in, and a few young trees (birch, rowan and walnut).

Pond liner arrived today, so that's this weekend sorted....

• Like 1

These are three pictures spread over the last 10 years, the last one with the flowers taken just last week. It’s about a third of my garden. I make it up as I go along but every year the wildlife increases exponentially and the area becomes more and more interesting. 

16D37689-32FA-4458-A2C7-66332F11FE8E.jpeg

A42AA536-5F7B-4E10-BFDF-E2F276DDB39E.jpeg

A0B7EFCF-2E5B-4662-A648-5C754ACB9D26.jpeg

• Like 5

On 28/01/2021 at 22:18, recoveringbuilder said:

I’d love some wild garlic, there’s a road near us where it grows in abundance but I read somewhere it’s illegal to dig it up

We have plenty it seems grow everywhere, if you're in Shropshire you're welcome to it.

On 28/01/2021 at 20:24, daiking said:

I dug up a load of bluebells last spring, I just hope they grow in their new spot. ?

it will be. A couple of weeks beofre the wild garlic sprouts.

@daiking we moved lots of bluebells a couple of years ago. They have just come back after not appearing last year so may take a couple of years.

I had a lot of shrubs off my parents for my recent 'special' lockdown birthday. My wife got me two chickens. Gardening with two chickens does not work well, they are like two dogs and follow me everywhere.....

IMG-20210418-WA0007.thumb.jpg.fd8f3ee32a4b7aa20284ba0c4c38e83b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Gardening with two chickens does not work well, they are like two dogs and follow me everywhere.....

I have 6 chickens but the garden is 2.5 hectares so the damage they do is minimal in the grand scheme of things but it does drive me bonkers when they destroy new plants that I have put in...... usually I have  to put up some kind of protective guard until new plants are established. I love my garden but love fresh free range eggs even more so I have to put up with a bit of destruction..... 

58 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I have 6 chickens but the garden is 2.5 hectares so the damage they do is minimal in the grand scheme of things but it does drive me bonkers when they destroy new plants that I have put in...... usually I have  to put up some kind of protective guard until new plants are established. I love my garden but love fresh free range eggs even more so I have to put up with a bit of destruction..... 

They actually haven't destroyed anything plant wise! It's the dust baths and that they keep chucking soil out of the borders onto the lawn. I'm not too bothered at the moment as the garden still needs some TLC and of course the free range eggs make it all worthwhile.

They have learned to tap on the sliding doors to beg for food right when I'm on a work Skype call too, they are funny though.

19 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

@daiking we moved lots of bluebells a couple of years ago. They have just come back after not appearing last year so may take a couple of years.

They've mostly come up ok, not flowered yet though. 

19 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

They actually haven't destroyed anything plant wise! It's the dust baths and that they keep chucking soil out of the borders onto the lawn. I'm not too bothered at the moment as the garden still needs some TLC and of course the free range eggs make it all worthwhile.

They have learned to tap on the sliding doors to beg for food right when I'm on a work Skype call too, they are funny though.

When we had our chickens they were great at loosening up soil. They also used to follow me back to the house when I let them out in the morning to get some bread, I do miss them but we have these big birds of prey in the area and I think that’s what happened to one of my last ones so won’t be risking it again.

2 hours ago, recoveringbuilder said:

When we had our chickens they were great at loosening up soil. They also used to follow me back to the house when I let them out in the morning to get some bread, I do miss them but we have these big birds of prey in the area and I think that’s what happened to one of my last ones so won’t be risking it again.

We did have a buzzard a few weeks ago but it managed to electrocute itself so the hens are safe for now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I grew mixed salad greens in these last year, went to seed and these have shoot up this spring - approx 25cm tall! (Squirrels may or may not have his stuff in there as well)

I pulled a lone one out and it has a long central root rather than typical many stranded plant roots. Leaves taste a little sweet.

What is it? 

Chard? Radish? 

35C1188D-C8A4-4DAD-ACF4-72818291C0F2.jpeg

17C61910-C604-440E-BCAF-948006E2283C.jpeg

Edited by daiking

• 1 month later...

Well there’s no new plants going in my garden this year, during the course of the last few weeks I’ve visited several garden centres in the Clyde valley all ones I’ve previously bought from and their prices have rocketed! One in particular which sells lovely furniture as well , I’d had my eye on a pair of chairs which they had a year and a half ago and went today thinking they might have put them on a sale price if they still had them, no, they’ve added £200 to them! Two sweet peas in a pot£20 no thanks, think they’re making up for lost time.

10 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

@joe90 what is your edging? Eye watering to spend £1000 on galvanised edging (Everedge or Core Edge) but my dad isn't up to cutting all sheets down and welding 150m worth. We really need something that bends for curves.

How about corrugated, galvanised steel edging. For example:

https://www.selections.com/set-of-6-galvanised-steel-lawn-edging-rolls-16.5cm-x-5m?

Shop around of course. Search "steel lawn edging".

Might sit well with your Armco barriers elsewhere. 

53 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

@joe90 what is your edging? Eye watering to spend £1000 on galvanised edging (Everedge or Core Edge) but my dad isn't up to cutting all sheets down and welding 150m worth. We really need something that bends for curves.

I simply used tantalised 6x1 timber, should last a good 10years in the ground (might see me out ?). I will be using black mild steel for some sharper curves, this is used by the National Trust etc, lasts forever and classic.

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

https://www.peterfudgegardens.com.au/blog/edge-options

black mild steel is cheap, it does rust but from visiting National trust gardens, RHS, etc not bright red.

Are you sure its not CorTen, "weathering" steel? Rusts for a few years staining everything in site ? then stabilises and settles down.

Edit: I think I'm right:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/UK.EverEdge/posts/

Edited by Onoff

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Corten steel is much more expensive, I don’t like the very rusty “trendy” look personally. 

The National Trust do! ?

Developers are cladding complete skyscrapers with it in London!

You definitely want a rolled, "safe" edge if using steel. Imagine falling on it! ?

Edited by Onoff

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You definitely want a rolled, "safe" edge if using steel. Imagine falling on it!

Black mild steel tends to have a rounded edge as it’s rolled in a mill and not cut or machined to shape (another reason it’s cheaper).