Multi Finish shortage

nod

Like most I assumed that shortages where due to the lockdown It now seems that there is an ongoing problem with the manufacturer of MF at the Carlisle plant 

We are starting bringing in finish from Poland Ten pallets due on Monday This is adding about £3 per bag 

When it rains it pours 

I think they deliberately take the piss and create shortages.  I saw a draft letter to the govt. from the big suppliers threatening shortages early on before lockdown unless they got a wedge of money.  It suits them to inflate prices.  Like the brick shortage where you had to book them in 4 months in advance.  They have had the same with blocks.  Then we get them from elsewhere and later the UK supply magically comes back.

And I thought it was a French 'lockdown' issue.

I can't get it for love nor money. Well probably could, but way too much money in some places. I've been told 4-5 weeks for, well, about the last 4-5 weeks.

Edited by Russdl

We’ve been getting it fine over the last twelve weeks 

But with a pallet only lasting a day or two I’m having to pay nearly a tenner a bag including transport 

Knauf 

8 hours ago, Russdl said:

Yow.

Just looking on eBay and someone is selling the same stud at £41 per bag Is anyone paying 

that 

An extra £4 a bag is not sustainable for me 

43 minutes ago, nod said:

Just looking on eBay and someone is selling the same stud at £41 per bag Is anyone paying 

that 

An extra £4 a bag is not sustainable for me 

you just have to pass it on 

its not as though you can stock pile plaster -cos it goes off 

2 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you just have to pass it on 

its not as though you can stock pile plaster -cos it goes off 

My jobs are priced 6 months in advance So I will just have to stand it for now 

The ten pallets Will only last a matter of weeks then we will have to buy more 

Hopefully locally 

I noticed plaster had dramatically gone up in price, even bonding coat, which you can still get. Drywall adhesive is non-existant too.

Is there a plant in scotland? I noticed the only stores which have got stock (and lots of stock) for Wickes and B&Q are in scotland, nothing anywhere round here.

Wickes have been having Multi Finish deliveries all week - mostly to Scotland / up north or south coast / London

I check it every few hours every day as I am desperate for 36 bags. 

The closest store that had stock today was about 35 miles away - I watched the stock deplete from over 200 bags to 5 in less than 30 mins.

Edited by wozza

On 12/06/2020 at 08:52, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I noticed plaster had dramatically gone up in price, even bonding coat, which you can still get. Drywall adhesive is non-existant too.

Is there a plant in scotland? I noticed the only stores which have got stock (and lots of stock) for Wickes and B&Q are in scotland, nothing anywhere round here.

It sounds like it must be regional as all my local Wickes round here (North Wiltshire) have plenty of drywall adhesive in stock. Plasterboard too but granted little plaster.

8 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

It sounds like it must be regional as all my local Wickes round here (North Wiltshire) have plenty of drywall adhesive in stock. Plasterboard too but granted little plaster.

Apparently Bicester has 352 bags of Multifinish in stock ... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

Apparently the local BM is importing plaster from Ireland, but customers are complaining as it works differently and goes off too quick. 

You need to start selling them Cream of Tartar! ?

Works a treat to slow plaster down. Great for slow coach novices like me 

Had a call Yesterday  from the local BM, after I enquired about bulk order of plaster.  They’ve not got any plaster in any of their depots.. The earliest they are likely to have new stock is 3 to 4 weeks, but they have a list of customers wanting supplies on a first come First served basis, so it could be longer before I get any!

A lot of the Wickes stores are getting 2 or 3 deliveries per week - a lot of them are not even updating the stock situation on the website.

Wickes Stoke had a 500+ bag delivery yesterday - when the website displayed 97 bags left the store staff announced that there was none left - apart from the pallet in the back that had they had been told to keep for the Kitchen fitters.

The large queue of people were not happy.

A lot of the BMs are getting deliveries, once delivered it is going straight out to the big sites.

I have been told that BG are having issues with packaging which is adding to the delays.

Edited by wozza
I cor spell

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 20:45, nod said:

Like most I assumed that shortages where due to the lockdown It now seems that there is an ongoing problem with the manufacturer of MF at the Carlisle plant 

We are starting bringing in finish from Poland Ten pallets due on Monday This is adding about £3 per bag 

When it rains it pours 

I got good connections for shipping and would like to add some Pallets for a plasterer friend of mine but have no idea which ones which. What brand /type are you using. There is loads of different plaster on the continent. Would like to get him something as close to his "usual multifinish" as possible

1 hour ago, nod said:

There’s no need now 

BG are going to be back Up to full production by the end of next week

They said so back in May! and promised 100% capacity by mid-June.

No multi finish around West London. A dozen of bags pop up online in Wickes or the likes, but disappear in a second. My closest today was 77 miles away .... Grrr....

Lots of BMs, Wickes etc are purposely not displaying stock levels.

I got a call from my local Jewsons on Monday to say they had had a delivery and had got 5 bags for me (max 5 bags per customer per week lol)  when I collected late on Tuesday there were three and a half pallets in the back. Website has not shown any stock since before the Pandemic.

I have been lucky / shopped around and travelled a bit to get my 48 bags over the past 4 weeks, I now have enough for my plasterer, and fingers crossed he will be finished this week.

Edited by wozza
  • Like 1