ecomax 828 boiler problem

jfb

I'm having a problem with my boiler that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Vailant Ecomax 828 on LPG bottles.

If both bottles run out the error message F29 appears to say no flame. Normally I change over the bottles and then press the flame button or turn it off and on and it will reignite but this time no such luck. No flame and F29 error remains.

What would be the next thing to try?

Ringing up Vailant is an obvious option but I'm wondering if anyone has any useful suggestions.

I'm guessing either it thinks that gas isn't getting into the boiler sufficiently (most likely) or something wrong with the flame switch (less likely).

3 hours ago, jfb said:

Normally I change over the bottles and then press the flame button or turn it off and on and it will reignite but this time no such luck. No flame and F29 error remains.

Sorry if this is obvious but are you just pressing it briefly or are you holding it down down for several seconds to reset the boiler?

The web says..

F28 means it's tried to light a few times without success and given up.

F29 means the flame was on but went out for some reason.

So if it is been reset and you get F29 again that suggests I did fire up but then went out. Did you turn all the cylinders fully on or just one? 

Looked up the manual on purging and it says to slacken the gas service valve beneath the boiler.

All I could find is what seems to me to be an isolator for the gas in so I turned it off and then back on.

It did the trick! Not sure if what I did was purging it or not but something worked.

Thanks all.

22 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Is it up to pressure on the sealed water side?

has the gas been purged 

Problem has returned - damn!

What is involved in purging ? 

It says in the manual "the gas supply to the boiler can be purged by slackening the gas service valve beneath the boiler".

Looking at the manual and then the boiler I see an isolator with a flat head screwdriver to open/close where the LPG gas pipe comes into the boiler so I assume that is the gas service valve.

2 hours ago, jfb said:

Problem has returned - damn!

What is involved in purging ? 

It says in the manual "the gas supply to the boiler can be purged by slackening the gas service valve beneath the boiler".

Looking at the manual and then the boiler I see an isolator with a flat head screwdriver to open/close where the LPG gas pipe comes into the boiler so I assume that is the gas service valve.

DO NOT PURGE THIS YOURSELF !!!

That is interrupting the gas supply and is extremely dangerous. Only a GSR’d fitter can do that, but I doubt if that’s what needs doing at all. 
Try the reset cycle a good 5 - 6 times and see if it stays lit after that. How old is the boiler and how long since this had any new parts ?

13 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

DO NOT PURGE THIS YOURSELF !!!

That is interrupting the gas supply and is extremely dangerous. Only a GSR’d fitter can do that, but I doubt if that’s what needs doing at all. 
Try the reset cycle a good 5 - 6 times and see if it stays lit after that. How old is the boiler and how long since this had any new parts ?

I get the message, thank you!

It is definitely on the older side not sure exactly how old though, not much work on it recently except new expansion vessel.

It has lit once since I switched over bottles, I assumed all sorted but then went back to F29 error message.