Internal folding doors - ever fully flat?

Bored Shopper

Some advice, please.

Due to tight space our family bathroom has to have its door either opening out into the 2x2m landing (not ideal) or of a sliding variety (non-pocket again due to space constraints) which I personally hate.

We're considering a folding door - but do they ever extend to a fully flat surface and stay that way? Remember having this in one of houses we rented in USA and they were always *slightly* folding...

Axis-White-bi-fold-full.jpg

I think as ever it depends - they can fold flat or not, and you need to look at examples. One variable is whether they fold "round the corner" on a 270 degree hinge or flat against the "doorpost".

For small bathrooms my preference is for doors to open outwards due to the  risk of someone inside falling against the door in an accident.

I think a plan of teh bathroom and adjoining spaces may help.

I'm considering these for a room divider, and to close off an alcove office.

Ferdinand

If they are fitted properly, yes they should close “flat”, usually with something like a magnetic catch in the middle to keep the hinge part in contact with the door stop. It’s something like door handles that would stop them opening “flat”.

Edited by joe90

Picture1.thumb.jpg.597b7251deee20d53057793a251d8624.jpg

The bathroom in question is above left. Size is roughly 2000x2200mm. Our architect put the washbasin next to shower on an extending wall (protruding into the shower to create niche recess), but it proved not feasible when built in practice as access to showers is awkward. We changed window size, moved it to the left (when facing), widened the shower enclosure and moved the washbasin as indicated by the arrow. Now one can properly access the shower enclosure. But the door has to be changed.