ASHP for barn build

Hi

Been reading this forum with interest, and seems to be plenty of people with real world experience of ASHP

I am part way through the rebuild of a barn, which will be pretty much open plan on the ground floor of around 95sqm, with a tiled floor and UFH, upstairs will be 4 bedrooms, and probably radiators

As per building regs, the insulation will be upto spec.

Have pretty much discounted oil or gas, and looked at GSHP and decided it wasn’t for me

So am thinking ASHP will be the way to go, but a few questions/concerns!

The property has 3 phase electricity

I intend to have a log burner in the main living area

I also plan to have a fast charger for EV

I would prefer to have the pump/plant and potentially tank positioned away from house in an outbuilding apprx 10m from the house , is this an issue?

Should I overspec the pump to reduce noise?

How would solar panels help with the solution?, if at all?, I hear that the technology for panels is changing over the next few years?

Would a sunamp battery play a part or be beneficial?

My main concern is around the upstairs maintaining a decent temperature, are radiators the way to go?

Also  Water temperature needs to be sufficient for my partner to have her hot showers!, and wondered if ashp can achieve this without additional heating?

Any advice, ideas, input would really be appreciated

thanks in advance

Russell

ASHP should be fine. to size it and the heating system you need to know the heat demand of the building usually from the SAP assesment

Meeting building regs for insulation does not always mean it is "good" air tightness is important as well.

3 phase may be helpful particularly with regard the fast charger.

No problem with the heat pump some distance away but you really want the hot water cylinder as close as possible to the bathrooms and kitchen, not 10 metres away. So in the house. they do not usually make noise.

A sun amp is a different means of storing hot water, one that is not well suited to being heated by an ASHP.

I heat hot water to 48 degrees with an ASHP that is hotter than I can hold my hand under so I doubt your wife needs her shower any hotter.

You might not need much heat upstairs. What is wrong with UFH there as well to make everything simple?

Solar PV is useful but bear in mind there is no feed in tariff any more so you have to cost it entirely on self used energy.

12 hours ago, ed8890 said:

Should I overspec the pump to reduce noise?

Yes, but more for a better CoP.

12 hours ago, ed8890 said:

How would solar panels help with the solution?, if at all?, I hear that the technology for panels is changing over the next few years?

I have heard that the technology is changing for the last decade, or more.  Not really changing, just a few different chemistries, nothing radical.

You can get a roof integrated system that can work out cheaper than fitting tiles/slates.

One area that it can help a lot is if you need to 'reverse' the ASHP for cooling in the summer.

Any kWh generated and used is a kWh not imported.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

Meeting building regs for insulation does not always mean it is "good" air tightness is important as well.

So true.