Embarking on Garden Office Build!

Mike_M

We are also working out how to buiid a garden room.  We haven't started on the house yet, but the plan is that by doing it in parrelel we'll be able to leverage better rates for materials than trying to do it seperatly later as a small project.

Was thinking about using isoquick slab + 240mm ibeam supply-only kit frame, but I'm going to have to Aly Dymock's videos now and see is a more DIY approach makes sense...

Will yours need building regs? (ours does ? )

Edited by Dan Feist

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Welcome.

Your screen logo - Sulphuric Acid maybe - from dim memory? 

I'll be following your progress with interest, because as soon a SWMBO has finished with me, I'll be hot on your heels..... 

Its actually a reference to Acid House music, the TB-303 is famous for the Acid sound :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dan Feist said:

We are also working out how to buiid a garden room.  We haven't started on the house yet, but the plan is that by doing it in parrelel we'll be able to leverage better rates for materials than trying to do it seperatly later as a small project.

Was thinking about using isoquick slab + 240mm ibeam supply-only kit frame, but I'm going to have to Aly Dymock's videos now and see is a more DIY approach makes sense...

Will yours need building regs? (ours does ? )

Hi Dan,

I'm sat here starting to actually put the design into SketchUp, makes it feel a bit more real!  I'm doing a build very similar to Aly 3m x 6.5m and used as an office/studio/garden room.  I think it does require building regs but i plan to have a chat with the council about this at some point.

My current quandary is what to use on the roof.  I'm limited to 2.5m height so cant use a warm roof so its either cold roof or insulated roof panels.  The latter is appealing as they dont require roof joists as they are self suspending but the risk of wind-suck (!) makes we weary.

Capture.thumb.JPG.00975f42f6ad03a1697adf5d3ae3bf8f.JPG

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You can go up to 30 square metres with no building regs, although if it is more than 15 square metres AND within a metre of your boundary it needs to be made mainly of non-combustible materials.

Is the converse true?

Can go up to 15m2, be less than a metre from boundary and be made from flammable material?

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is the converse true?

Can go up to 15m2, be less than a metre from boundary and be made from flammable material?

I believe that is correct yes, 15-30 and I also thought I heard/read that if the building faces facing the borders are of Class 0 cladding it will not require building regs?

Building inspector told me 30min fire rating is needed on both sides of the wall next to the boundary.  Didn't say anything about "not made mainly of non-combustible materials".  I didn't tell him we were planning timber-frame, but he didn't ask either.