Stone erosion

Redoctober

Hi all. 

Within my external wall, I have one particular stone that is showing signs of erosion - see images.

Is this something to be concerned about or do I have too much time on my hands????

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

Edited by Redoctober
to create a gap between photos.

Interesting (from a geological point of view) -  roughly whereabouts are you in the Borders? If in doubt I would whack some mortar in there to prevent any frost damage...... but I can't imagine surface damage on one stone is going to cause any problems for the house.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Reiver we are in the Eastern side of the Borders and the stone concerned is either from Perthshire or Cumbria as the make up of the wall is a combination of Perthshire stone, Cumbrian stone and Borders Buff.

@Russell griffiths funny, I did actually now the lawns today, all 600 as metres of it.??. Thanks for your thoughts anyway, much appreciated?

39 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Hi @Reiver we are in the Eastern side of the Borders and the stone concerned is either from Perthshire or Cumbria as the make up of the wall is a combination of Perthshire stone, Cumbrian stone and Borders Buff.

@Russell griffiths funny, I did actually now the lawns today, all 600 as metres of it.??. Thanks for your thoughts anyway, much appreciated?

Aaah, I thought it might be from Cumbria because of the blue-ish colour, it'd be from the Borrowdale volcanic group. With such rock being formed from a random series of massively violent eruptions (the likes of which we don't see these days thankfully) small local imperfections/interruptions are not uncommon; my pals who work in the quarries here are always cursing them as they spoil a nice run of stone that would otherwise make a huge kitchen worktop they could sell to some WAG for her kitchen for £££££. I'm sure the vast majority of other bits of similar stone in your build will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1