Loft ladders

Pocster

9 hours ago, pocster said:

Seems *too* cheap ?

Looks like the steps don’t go much wider than the hatch .... could mount in between trusses ??

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/Concertina-Loft-Ladders.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ciF3Mn16QIVhrHtCh1MuwvNEAQYCSABEgIQ-vD_BwE

Could do . It would look well tacky and crap .

• Like 1

I fitted one of these and it’s great, headroom fir carrying stuff up into the loft. I have fitted these fir many people. Again, how many joists do you need to cut?, are the joists resting on wall plates either side of the landing? Best post up a drawing with dimensions.

https://www.lbroofwindows.co.uk/loft-ladders/oman-timber-loft-ladder-and-hatch1/?id=16571&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiYL3BRDVARIsAF9E4GfvlL7TeliHh_axAP20l2HqtEe3O9zBhDrFhWRVYmhB5ZiDsR64PkkaArEAEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

Guys !

I should of pointed out the loft won’t be for storage . Just access to the AAV and some electrics . So I won’t be going up and down it all the time .

Edited by pocster

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I fitted one of these and it’s great, headroom fir carrying stuff up into the loft. I have fitted these fir many people. Again, how many joists do you need to cut?, are the joists resting on wall plates either side of the landing? Best post up a drawing with dimensions.

https://www.lbroofwindows.co.uk/loft-ladders/oman-timber-loft-ladder-and-hatch1/?id=16571&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiYL3BRDVARIsAF9E4GfvlL7TeliHh_axAP20l2HqtEe3O9zBhDrFhWRVYmhB5ZiDsR64PkkaArEAEALw_wcB

Crumbs ! That looks very decent for the money . I said ‘joists’ I meant trusses . Span is around 7metres . I would only need to cut one .

My drawings are crap as you know - so here’s a useless photo instead 

FCACDD59-CA0A-4BF8-9312-37FF1A486C4B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

@joe90 the mini termo seems decent I.e small and avoids cutting trusses .

Just can’t work out how much the fully extended ladder extends beyond the box . Think I’ll call them 

@joe90 well the supplier didn’t seem to know ( can’t find a direct number for Oman. ) . So joe ! - if your ladder was fully extended ( let’s say 2.3m ) how far do the ladder legs touching the floor extend beyond the base of the hatch ?

I am not an S.E. But have done many loft conversions. Trusses are in tension, they stop the roof from spreading (hence the little arrows). This is the way I would do it. Double the non cut trusses either end with bolts if you want. Trim around loft hatch with same size timber as truss, and use 18mm chipboard (shaded area) with screws, this will stop the cut truss from trying to spread. You may want to board the loft anyway.

39F4366F-C31B-4878-B683-3E7E41CA1976.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I am not an S.E. But have done many loft conversions. Trusses are in tension, they stop the roof from spreading (hence the little arrows). This is the way I would do it. Double the non cut trusses either end with bolts if you want. Trim around loft hatch with same size timber as truss, and use 18mm chipboard (shaded area) with screws, this will stop the cut truss from trying to spread. You may want to board the loft anyway.

39F4366F-C31B-4878-B683-3E7E41CA1976.jpeg

I’m still scared . I have a very shallow warm ‘loft ‘ - no point boarding ; can’t get in there .

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

Guys !

I should of pointed out the loft won’t be for storage . Just access to the AAV and some electrics, peep holes and spy cameras etc. So I won’t be going up and down it all the time .

?

Just now, pocster said:

I’m still scared . I have a very shallow warm ‘loft ‘ - no point boarding ; can’t get in there .

then why a loft hatch???

here is mine, loft hatch 1225mm x 600mm, the ladder falls within the footprint of the hatch. My loft is boarded out and used fir storage to save having loads of cupboards around the house full of crap,!!

if you want a hatch for occasional “maintenance “ then why not make one small enough to go between joists and a pair of steps!!,

343E2397-6E8C-4C0F-AEA1-B1AE091D4FAB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

Guys !

I should of pointed out the loft won’t be for storage . Just access to the AAV and some electrics . So I won’t be going up and down it all the time .

ah, missed that ?, then small home made hatch and long steps ?

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

then why a loft hatch???

here is mine, loft hatch 1225mm x 600mm, the ladder falls within the footprint of the hatch. My loft is boarded out and used fir storage to save having loads of cupboards around the house full of crap,!!

if you want a hatch for occasional “maintenance “ then why not make one small enough to go between joists and a pair of steps!!,

343E2397-6E8C-4C0F-AEA1-B1AE091D4FAB.jpeg

? I’m not happy on steps . I need a hatch for access . Also it means I need a set of steps somewhere . Hatch with ladder built in seemed a more elegant solution . Also I wanted to make more work for myself .

Just now, joe90 said:

?????????

You should know that .

Why build above ground when you can build underground 

Why have a simple doorbell when you can automate and create more work 

Why have a hatch and a set of steps when you can cut trusses 

Why? - If it was easy everyone would do it ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

But there is no A. or. B dimension (size of hole in ceiling) ?

Outer box dims on p24 & 26.

Crap drawings. Dimn lines aren't even in line with the isometric view.