Loft ladders

Pocster

I assumed a loft hatch with an attached loft ladder would make access easier for me .

Problem is my hallway is 1.2m and joists run across it approx 57cm wide. ( so I can’t run it length ways down the hall )

My concern is a ladder won’t come fully down without hitting the wall . I’ve looked at the concertina ones ; can’t workout with the ladder extended how far it goes past the edge of the opening I.e will it hit the wall ? 

Anyone got one ? 

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Cut one of the joists and frame round it to fit a ladder the correct way.

See . Now I thought that .

But I’m scared to cut a structural joist ....

Assumed it was a bad plan ...

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, wozza said:

My loft hatch is adjacent to a bedroom door, so to use the ladder you need to open the bedroom door

Yeah I tried that . My jousts are about 10cm past the door way so won’t fit .

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You can  trim and reinforce those to make the gap - just needs to be sistered/framed with the same size joists and doubled up all round

Erm . Not 100% sure what you mean .
I’m weary of electrics and structural things .

Drawing of what I have 

C0D5EE59-993A-4652-9D81-D937417C8CC2.thumb.jpeg.2dcd77cfb0a94a5517d425329e3590ff.jpeg

Drawing of ‘my plan ‘

B7B73E77-0CC3-4A54-8456-63437A2E8C91.thumb.jpeg.331917b9c94a6da485708f713fad6e87.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You could disguise the loft hatch as a dropped ceiling section with LED lighting.

I think @Barney12 did a feature in his kitchen like this (not with a hatch mind).

Could do . It would look well tacky and crap .

I have done loads of these, as per others above cut joist and frame around it, doubled up or belt and braces screw 18mm chipboard across joists either end of the loft hatch .

48 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@pocster from your second “CAD” drawing how many joists do you need to cut?, also are the joists resting on the walls either side?

I use a very specific CAD program - it came free with some walk on glazing .

I think I only need to cut 1 . The joists do indeed run straight across the width of the mansion .

Edited by pocster

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have done loads of these, as per others above cut joist and frame around it, doubled up or belt and braces screw 18mm chipboard across joists either end of the loft hatch .

Think I might bolt across it all . Stick a photo up here BEFORE I cut . It would be deeply upsetting if I’m crushed in my own house .

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Couldn't you bling it up with some walk on glazing...???

Walk on glazing has many , many uses as you’ve implied . This though would be an inappropriate use of it .

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Erm . Not 100% sure what you mean .
I’m weary of electrics and structural things .

Drawing of what I have 

C0D5EE59-993A-4652-9D81-D937417C8CC2.thumb.jpeg.2dcd77cfb0a94a5517d425329e3590ff.jpeg

Drawing of ‘my plan ‘

B7B73E77-0CC3-4A54-8456-63437A2E8C91.thumb.jpeg.331917b9c94a6da485708f713fad6e87.jpeg

What I would do ... Put a piece of timber along the top / bottom of the existing joists to hold them temporarily while you cut the pieces out, cut and then add bracing.  If you are really worried you could form the 'box' 1st and then cut to fit this - pop this in place and fix. If it all goes wrong no liability here + anything there of interest to the rest of us self builders?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

What I would do ... Put a piece of timber along the top / bottom of the existing joists to hold them temporarily while you cut the pieces out, cut and then add bracing.  If you are really worried you could form the 'box' 1st and then cut to fit this - pop this in place and fix. If it all goes wrong no liability here + anything there of interest to the rest of us self builders?

Should I prepare my will just in case ?

Who wants to be left some glazing ?

10 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I'd leave the will - it will be more fun for you to look down / up at all the fighting going on.

True . I can imagine the thread “Pocster’s dead - what do I get ? “ . Hundreds and hundreds of pages .

You are trying to "fix" it with a tiny ladder, than fix the issue stopping you getting a decent ladder in.

If you want to be going up and down carrying stuff, AND without keep banging your head, you need a decent size loft hatch.