Best plasterboard lifter for damaged hands

Quickie..... plasterboard lifter (or other suggestions) for knackered hands .... 

This is the mess I have to work with - only two fingers work, and the left hand finger does not straighten at all.  Left hand is significantly worse as in more painful, and the same amount of fingers (4). Teaching kids to count to ten is great fun!

Call me Cap'n 'Ook if you will......

20200609_085808.thumb.jpg.f060854550e82fcda55f042cfc319a9d.jpg

Shifting plasterboard soon. Want to reduce the pain. Ideas?

Ian

6 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

pay someone else

I tend to agree, no point In killing your self . Throughout our build I have had to hand over certain jobs i knew I would struggle with fir the sake of my health and sanity (and I am getting older). If you insist on doing it yourself I would use 6x3 instead of 8x4 sheets, far easier to use. Last job I used one of these And found it much easier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-11Ft-Lifter-Tool-Drywall-Hoist-Caster-Plasterboard-Panel-Sheet-Crane/254474451115?_

Also think about a second pair of hands (no pun intended ?) two people doing a job is much less effort than half the job.

self building should be enjoyed (as much as possible) .  Work smarter not harder. ?

• Like 1

You have managed plenty else with your 8 digits.

Seriously I regard plasterboard as a 2 man job. If you are macho you might manage on your own, but seriously it is far easier with two.

Me and SWMBO between us fitted the 200 odd sheets used in this house and most of that without a lifter, just grunt force and a pair of dead men.

Thanks for the responses.

Pay someone else.....

Suddenly there are trades folk all over wanting work. All over Salmander Cottage.

I told one that he could have four weeks work, day rate. So  three weeks ago he started. Two weeks into the four week period, (and just fully paid on the day his invoice was submitted)  he tells us that he now has too many of his normal (! FFS!) customers and it will be mid August before he can come again.

(Mixing Slips thread  on BH yesterday)

I feel a mixture of irritation, annoyance and UpYoursPal about it. He was indeed about to help me get the place boarded out. And I'm too used to doing it (too much?) myself because the buck stops with me. Coupled with the probably misplaced feeling that I'm still AsArdAsIwunsWuz ... 

35 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

seriously tho, do you mean lifter for ceilings or carrier to move sheets around?

Intially carrying the damn things in. Ceilings come later .....

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I worry about you sometimes @daiking. Coming home from a baseball game shouldn't be so dangerous now should it?

No need to worry, I only read the product reviews, I don’t write ‘em.

edit, Oh, do you mean the avatar? Dress for the job you want, as they say.

Edited by daiking

3 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

How did u do the fingers again

When I'm asked this question (which is fairly often)  Debbie says I should make a snap decision: lie or tell the truth. 

When I was serving in the Heavy Underwater Artillery in Afghanistan, while milking a goat without permission, I got caught by a Talib. He apprehended me, and called a  Shura to decide what should be done in the matter. It was determined that the sin - although small - should not go unremarked.

The executioner was new to the role and since it was his first execution, he botched the job.  As well as chopping off my little fingers, he was so nervous that his aim was poor: he ruined the two fingers next to my little fingers. Now only two fingers work properly and currently, this is all I can do.....

fingers.jpg.f3fc7bd74567d0772dab881416444a3c.jpg

Or...

Dupuytren's Contracture. Cant remember which explanation is correct any more.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

[...] milking a goat without permission

I was going to ask if that was a euphemism but as I read on then wondered if it was true so decided it was insensitive to joke about. Got to the end and realised it was a wind up but I'd be lying if I said you didn't have me for a minute!  

Edited by MJNewton

@joe90 has hit the nail on the head - I used the yellow jobby to carry them all around - 15mm sheets are easy with it + the lifter to fix boards.  Did the whole house single handed.

• Thanks 1