Air gap around TV

sw879

Hi everyone

We are installing a recessed TV (1237*767) in the bedroom but are having trouble deciding on the width of the air gap around the TV.  We want it as small as possible really.

There will be vents in the back of the niche to allow warm air to escape and we feel that a 10mm gap should be ok so as long as we can get a wedge down the side to get to the mount. 

Has anyone had any experience with this before?  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

S

When build for appliances I allow 5 mil either side and at the top 

10 can look a bit much 

If you are plastering the aperture then allow 4 mil on all edges for beads 

I am not convinced this is a wise idea.

It will look great to start with.  How long will the tv last?  10 years?  Will you be able to repair it or get a replacement exactly the same size?

By all means create a recess so you can mount a tv truly flat to the wall with space for all the cables and space to recess a bracket so the actual tv will be right flat against the wall, but I would not personally recess the tv completely.

In any case the space you will need will be dictated by how the tv hangs on it's bracket and how much space you need to lift it on and off the bracket.

Perhaps an over size hole with a surround that fits snug to the tv.  Then if you have to change tv get one as close to the same size and just re make the surround piece?

• Like 1

Thank you both, that's very helpful.

We had suggested to our builder to do just that, add some mdf planks to surround the tv and then plaster over but he says it can't be done.  I'll have to go back to him and check again. 

Thank you again!

I was not thinking of plastering the surround.  I had in mind something more like a picture frame around the tv perhaps made of the same architrave you are using for the doors, that could easily be lifted off?

This is mine that I built in. It has a 35mm gap all the way round and I can get the tv onto the bracket easily enough. Dis regard the cables as i have been trying something out, they are not normally there!

159137540374117942790805240764.jpg