Cherry picker battery options

NotJustin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As there's no obvious oiling/greasing points I would agree with OnOff - likely "sealed for life" bronze bearings - so as long as they don't start creaking you can stand down the lubrication.

On 25/06/2020 at 16:38, Reiver said:

As there's no obvious oiling/greasing points I would agree with OnOff - likely "sealed for life" bronze bearings - so as long as they don't start creaking you can stand down the lubrication.

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed quite a bit of rust on the cherry picker, is there a recommended coating for it? Also, I thought of putting Corroseal rust converter on there first, is that generally a good move?

9 minutes ago, Justin Tuijl said:

is there a recommended coating for it

No. Just treat it like an old car. Wire brush etc the rusting spots. Rust treat with whatever you like, Kurust, Corroseal Jenolite (my favourite) etc, prime and paint with Halfords finest whatever as near a colour match as you can. Watch for rust getting in between welded plates, that's the killer...literally. Some Waxoyl squirted in where you can won't hurt.

50 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No. Just treat it like an old car. Wire brush etc the rusting spots. Rust treat with whatever you like, Kurust, Corroseal Jenolite (my favourite) etc, prime and paint with Halfords finest whatever as near a colour match as you can. Watch for rust getting in between welded plates, that's the killer...literally. Some Waxoyl squirted in where you can won't hurt.

Awesome, thank you

15 minutes ago, Justin Tuijl said:

The existing paint is lifting in places, I wasn't sure if to dispatch it or not, definate rust underneath. It's a sort of plasticy paint.

Might have been powder coated originally?

The problem with powder coating is as you are finding out. Get a crack in the finish and water gets in and does its thing! Depends on the preparation too. 

I only ever powder coat steel that's been zinc flame sprayed or galvanised first. 

It's an old cherry picker. As long as it's structurally sound I'd paint with whatever was kicking around. 

A 2 pack transport polyurethane would be good as it's pretty tough.

Christ, I'd be using gloss!