Newbie here :)

Leightara

Hi everyone, This is my first post. We have just had an offer accepted on a piece of land in Deal Kent. Our budget to build is between £350/£400k max. We are thinking about building a trendy type bungalow with double garage. Am I right in thinking a bungalow would be cheaper to build than a house? Do you think this is a reasonable budget. Ideally we are hoping for about 180sq m /200. We are also thinking traditional build ? thank you for your replies in advance?

Edited by Leightara
put wrong measurement in

Welcome..

Do you mean 180-200sqm, as 1800sqm is huge !!!

Bungalows are more expensive on the face of it as they still need the same foundation roof and services as a house of twice the size. Walls and floors are comparatively cheap.

I have built two bungalows, and the costs are high for certain parts as the footprint is big, however I have found that being able to fit everything from a single lift of scaffolding is really nice, I built the laser one with no scaffolding at all but just bandstands and scaffolding boards. 

Hi, welcome to the forum. As others have said for a bungalow the roof and foundations will cost more and foundations could be a significant proportion of the build for many reasons. We have built a two storey PH near Sandwich.

5 minutes ago, Leightara said:

Hi Peter, thank you for your reply. I am currently looking at Potton and Dan Wood. Do you have any thoughts on them Quite like the fact they are turnkey

They are not as turn key as you expect, and there are a number of people who would suggest with some that the quality of service doesn't match the price. Caveat Emptor