MVHR condensation drain

About too look at installing this .

Seems simple enough . Am I ok to run it straight through my timber frame wall and outside ? . This would be *much* easier than trying to get it to the internal drain .

Any issues with this ?

729D1FC3-89E7-4C90-B362-2885EE4FA70E.jpeg

Yes.  Running to a gutter or just outside is better than an internal foul drain as you do not need to rely on a water trap to stop smells getting in.

It is only the condensate from indoor air, so not corrosive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes.  Running to a gutter or just outside is better than an internal foul drain as you do not need to rely on a water trap to stop smells getting in.

It is only the condensate from indoor air, so not corrosive.

Super ! Makes an easy job easier ! ?

The parts supplied for the drain don’t fit ( always worries me when official parts don’t seem right )

Anyway this is the drain ( yes , the arrow is facing the right direction ? ) . Green X marks my drill hole to the outside world 

126869D2-7C73-4D39-AEF8-F8E98E23B872.jpeg

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

The parts supplied for the drain don’t fit ( always worries me when official parts don’t seem right )

Anyway this is the drain ( yes , the arrow is facing the right direction ? ) . Green X marks my drill hole to the outside world 

126869D2-7C73-4D39-AEF8-F8E98E23B872.jpeg

I can see this going downhill.

I'd make the pipe exiting the warmer area to the outside much bigger than 21.5mm - prob adapt it up to 40mm.  Just in case it freezes as it hits the outside, I wouldn't want it backing up ....

• Thanks 1

My MVHR condensate joins the gas boiler condensate in a chamber pump in basement plant room and is then delivered to foul drain at ground level.

Airtightness and cold bridging aside, I know that external condensate pipes are prone to freezing in winter and this is a frequent cause of gas boiler failures. Easy to fix by warming the external pipe if you remember that this is the issue.

Question is whether a MVHR would be similarly impacted.

19 hours ago, CC45 said:

I'd make the pipe exiting the warmer area to the outside much bigger than 21.5mm - prob adapt it up to 40mm.  Just in case it freezes as it hits the outside, I wouldn't want it backing up ....

We went on holiday to Egypt quite a few years ago and my daughter (her bathroom) left a tap just slightly open causing a drip and when we came home the 40mm pipe was completely frozen, it had frozen to -10 while we were away though!

• Like 1