Hi all,

We are early in our self build journey having just been granted planning in principle for our plot.

We have an architect and have had first discussions with a broker, so the money side of things looks ok too. Cost and efficiency are big motivators as we currently live in an old house which haemorrhages both heat and money, Will also be our home for the next 30 odd years so running costs important. Have only now just started the bulk of our research as it took three years to sort the plot and didn't want to get ahead of ourselves. Will probably have questions on absolutely everything.Thanks!

Welcome.

East Ayr - that's where the Jock side of my family comes from (half Jock, half Bosch)

2 hours ago, Alister84 said:

[...]

we currently live in an old house which haemorrhages both heat and money, Will also be our home for the next 30 odd years so running costs important. 

[...]

Precisely our motivation too. Still building after 4 years and I'm 67 ... and its still worth it, provided I dont pop me clogs soon. It took 35 years for the Planning framework to be right for us : a bit of a wait.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Thought I’d share some pictures of the plot. We are incredibly lucky with it’s size, 6 acres as well as the Burn running through. On a clear day we also get brilliant views of the Isle of Arran. 

Architect was on site last week (socially distant) and is meeting with us again towards the end of this week. We now have a list of rooms and rough floor dimensions, he will workout the “flow” of these and start the process of design. Our solicitor has been instructed to separate the title (from our existing house next door) so progress finally feels like it’s being made! 

15B19021-C1C1-4685-9495-19805CF391AA.jpeg

011387E8-79D9-4A1F-AB8E-55857A2769EA.jpeg

FE8B9941-2C4E-4C47-BCA6-CD7DB8447C5D.jpeg

1C7E4E0D-BEC6-48E7-9207-61D5C68A2ECF.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Very nice ..!! Are you having to stay with a traditional design or are you looking at more contemporary ..?

Good question!

We would like a modern agricultural feel/design but realistic. Have no desire for glass walls a complex roof design. The house should give very little away as you approach, then open up to the views at the back......maybe......planners might not like that idea.

1 hour ago, Alister84 said:

Our solicitor has been instructed to separate the title (from our existing house next door)

In England and Wales the Land Registry are sticky about this as you need to transfer part of the land to a new title and they like the transfer to be to another party, as it can cause issues granting rights, covenants etc to yourself.

Hopefully it is simpler in Scotland.

31 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

In England and Wales the Land Registry are sticky about this as you need to transfer part of the land to a new title and they like the transfer to be to another party, as it can cause issues granting rights, covenants etc to yourself.

Hopefully it is simpler in Scotland.

I do know the rules are different in Scotland. However the person who had the house before us purchased the land in addition to the land owned by the house, so the house has two titles. Essentially we are just restoring them, lucky for us.

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d update on how things are progressing with us. 

Our mortgage provider has agreed the part release so we can separate the titles for the land we want to build on. Our current house had to be valued as a result. Having this done by a guy in full PPE; while you have every single, door, window and internal door open in your house with all the lights on while you, your partner, dog and three children remain in one corner of one room was......interesting! But it’s done. 

After approximately 5 rounds; the floor plan now has very little left to change, we think it works for us but interesting to see what you all think? Be nice....

8CB637D8-49B1-4ED4-A2AC-1294C7F891FF.jpeg

55DAEEDB-8B6E-425A-9C9C-0A0CE0B98C32.jpeg