(wired) Home automation market is a bit cr*p

1 hour ago, gc100 said:

Yes, it seems I will be going with Z-Wave or Zigbee as its really the only option at the moment ?

What would you use? z-wave powered LED drivers or z-wave dimmers?

On 03/06/2020 at 16:58, dnb said:

Unless one of the following applies:

The job is a fun one.

I want to learn about the technology or thing in question

Someone has told me that I can't do it.

This is my motivation for embarking on a complete DIY solution involving DMX lighting, a custom RS-485 network for the sensors and switches, and a dedicated server with a web interface for anyone on the network (including limited permissions for guests). People will tell me that I'll never finish the project, and they're probable right, but it isn't going to stop me trying. Worst case scenario is I spend a bit of money on hardware and learn a ton about embedded/web software development and hardware design. It should probably go without saying that I wouldn't swap out my dumb lights until I had something working reliably and well tested on the bench first.

Edit: I should probably also say that I'm not completely new to this sort of stuff. I did a degree and PhD in electronic engineering, and am currently working as a firmware engineer. I think the only area I'm lacking experience in is web development, but you've got to learn somehow!

Edited by SamP20