Solvent to lift D4 glue dribbles off facing brick.

When laying the first floor recently I neglected to protect a decorative ground floor wall below finished with facing bricks. A few days later I noticed a couple of annoying dribbles had dried on the brick wall below.

I tried to mechanically lift the glue a week later but its natural expanded foam set state means I just scrape the glue deeper into the irregular surface of the facing bricks.

Is any solvent known to dissolve D4 glue? If I was nearer the coast I would visit a yacht chandlery and purchase a variety of International Paints thinners as they have a potion that can attack many forms of organic chemistry.

https://www.international-yachtpaint.com/en/au/boat-paint-products/thinners

Just a thing we used to do if you are not very successful and need to have a go at covering it up, we used to do this when we couldn’t find an exact brick match. 

Get two spare brickes and rub and rub the faces together vigorously, catching the grit and dust in a clean bucket

paint a thin layer of waterproof pva onto the offending stain, chuck the dust at the pva and pat it gently with a soft sponge. 

You should be able to hide any marks and glue. 

Remember to stand a few m back when inspecting,as when it is all finished you will never go around inspecting it that closely again. 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2020 at 13:35, Temp said:

But I think I would try putting some glue on spare brick first to see if it works or makes a worse mess.

An excellent suggestion as I now plan various experiments.

Since posting I have not found any magic potion that will dissolve D4 glue. As per your link my plan is to start with heat to tease off the larger lumps of glue, then I will progress to manual slicing off with a scalple and finally (my idea) I will try extreme cold e.g. liquid CO2 and see of the glue can be scrapped off as frozen shards.

On 02/06/2020 at 16:23, Russell griffiths said:

Get two spare brickes and rub and rub the faces together vigorously, catching the grit and dust in a clean bucket

paint a thin layer of waterproof pva onto the offending stain, chuck the dust at the pva and pat it gently with a soft sponge. 

You should be able to hide any marks and glue. 

Nice to have this as a last resort. In the final stage of the build we are planning to seal/varnish the internal facing bricks so the PVA + brick dust disguise might blend in well.