posi joists metal work

scottishjohn

The issue would be certification.  What timber are you using? is it the right spec? who is going to declare the loading?

I would have no problem doing that for a shed or other building that did not need BC approval, but for the main joists of a house? I think not.

46 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

just a thought as they are there 

ha, you’re just like me, my motto is “why buy it if you can make it “ !!!!. During my build I have had to learn life is not long enough to do everything. On my build I have done what I am good at / enjoy and contract out what I am not so good at / don’t enjoy.

• Like 1

I watched a YouTube clip on making them, not complicated, but you need fairly large flat press plates, the ones on the clip I saw could do a 6m joist in one set-up. But I'm sure if you could press one full web section (2ft?) At a time it could be done

I went to the factory to see ours being made.  Talking to the lads, the key thing they pointed to was the quality of the timber : before use, they dropped each piece into a former - a sort of guage - and if it didn't fit, then it was rejected. 

Without the jig for both the timber and the assembly, I would hesitate even if I were as Just-Bloody-Do-It as you are John.

• Haha 2