UFH and thermostats, silly question

Mat1

I'm renovating a small 2bed victorian. The ground floor is open plan so just a single zone screed UFH system. 3 radiators in the 2 bedrooms+bathroom upstairs. Boiler is half installed waiting for other work to finish. 

Do I need a thermostat for each floor? 

I've got a google Nest ordered. Can I just use that downstairs for the UFH and some sort of programmable TRV setup for the upstairs bedrooms?

I've never actually lived in a house with a thermostat.

Edited by Mat1
mistake

Normally with UFH you would have one thermostat per room,  so one for the open plan downstairs, one for each bedroom and one for bathroom.

I would not like to comment on how well, if at all, Nest thermostats would connect to the UFH manifold controllers. some expect a normal thermostat, some have their own standards and need their own thermostats.

• Like 1

+1 With UFH you have loops of pipe going from manifold(s) to each room. By fitting valves to the manifold ports you can control the temperature of each room using a thermostat in each room. If the thermostats are programmable you can also have different temperatures at different times or have some rooms off (eg guest room).

The key to maintaining flexibility is to specify one floor loop per room, no loops shared between rooms. Later you can decide if you want a thermostat stat in each room or one in the hall controlling multiple rooms. 

Personally I like the fact that we can control the temperature of each room individually. It allows us to warm up the bathroom floor without heating the bedrooms for example. 

Your open plan ground floor may need more than one loop. That's no problem, you just need enough ports on the manifold. One thermostat can control more than one loop.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Normally with UFH you would have one thermostat per room,  so one for the open plan downstairs, one for each bedroom and one for bathroom.

I would not like to comment on how well, if at all, Nest thermostats would connect to the UFH manifold controllers. some expect a normal thermostat, some have their own standards and need their own thermostats.

16 minutes ago, Temp said:

+1 With UFH you have loops of pipe going from manifold(s) to each room. By fitting valves to the manifold ports you can control the temperature of each room using a thermostat in each room. If the thermostats are programmable you can also have different temperatures at different times or have some rooms off (eg guest room).

The key to maintaining flexibility is to specify one floor loop per room, no loops shared between rooms. Later you can decide if you want a thermostat stat in each room or one in the hall controlling multiple rooms. 

Personally I like the fact that we can control the temperature of each room individually. It allows us to warm up the bathroom floor without heating the bedrooms for example. 

Your open plan ground floor may need more than one loop. That's no problem, you just need enough ports on the manifold. One thermostat can control more than one loop.

Thanks guys just to clarify it's rads upstairs. Forgot to add that!