Artificial Grass price info and keeping it beautiful

So we've got our grass down - pic below just after laying so not finally fixed hence small wrinkles etc but really happy with that!

[... polite advertising removed ... ]

My question for those of you experienced with this stuff is what is the best way to remove leaves/pine needles/pine cones etc that will be collecting on it? A blower, a sucker, some form of power broom???

grass1.JPG

• Like 2

We let our chickens graze it - food and bits are removed almost before they hit the floor. If the chickens don't, the dogs do. 

Dead leaves and the like - a blower - with the wind not against it. (Getting your own back).

We now have docken leaves growing through the matting, and one dandelion.

• Like 1

Ha yes our dog will scavenge any food so not bothered about that. maybe a henry hoover with a custom 2m wide suction head would work, or maybe go crazy and use a dyson ? I do have an electric Li-on battery powered lawn mower - maybe I could customise that as obviously no longer needed.

This is ours. Probably the worst ever shape for artificial turf!

It's been down a year now. We're very pleased with it - it's great to walk on throughout the year and no mowing is great for me as I get hayfever pretty badly. Leaves are a problem though and I'm thinking of getting a lawn vacuum. Blowers don't seem to work that well, maybe becuase we have no 'corners' to blow it into.

IMG_8688 Complete.jpg

• Like 1

We don't have problems with dogs/cats/foxes/peacocks here, but we do with incontinent pigeons, who seem to live on a diet of araldite and concrete. The grass stands up to it pretty well - it softens in the rain and I brush it off. And cut back the overhanging willow tree where they roost.

We do get the odd weed coming through too. And squirrels will try to bury conkers in it.

So it's not quite fit and forget

2 hours ago, RandAbuild said:

peacocks

We used to have a peacock.

We lived in the old manor house, and someone turned up with one and said "we found this in our back garden - is it yours?".

Dad (fool) said "yes" and spent the next years bringing it back when it kept flying away.

• Haha 1

V nice @RandAbuild interesting also as I'm Adam and my wife is Rhiannon so could also use that id ?

To help stop weeds we did a layer of membrane below sand and a layer above so hope may stop at least a few of them, apparently this also prevents sand migrating through the grass drainage holes. 

Leaning towards the widest brush thing with a collection bucket at the moment, especially if battery or petrol powered. 

• Haha 1

For those who have artificial grass and are happy with their experience, any particular brands/types you'd recommend? I've just dipped into it and there appears to be very wide choices. Looking for something durable, child and dog friendly and that looks the part. All of the above look decent. 

9 hours ago, Adam2 said:

V nice @RandAbuild interesting also as I'm Adam and my wife is Rhiannon so could also use that id ?

To help stop weeds we did a layer of membrane below sand and a layer above so hope may stop at least a few of them, apparently this also prevents sand migrating through the grass drainage holes. 

Leaning towards the widest brush thing with a collection bucket at the moment, especially if battery or petrol powered. 

Our lawn structure was compacted type 1, weed membrane, 40mm compacted granite dust, grass. The weeds still grow though, most likely self-seeded above the membrane.

9 hours ago, eandg said:

For those who have artificial grass and are happy with their experience, any particular brands/types you'd recommend? I've just dipped into it and there appears to be very wide choices. Looking for something durable, child and dog friendly and that looks the part. All of the above look decent. 

I got loads of samples and it was clear you got what you paid for. We ended up using Easigrass - I think it was their Chelsea or Mayfair range. A good product but I couldn't recommend the installers (Easigrass use a network of franchised local fitters). They fitted it well enough but there was one section where the 'pile' of the grass was longer. It appeared as a 40mm wide bump running the width of the grass. Despite repeated requests, they failed to remedy it (at one point saying they would have to go out and buy some new scissors!), so I did it myself. Looks fine now.

Overall it was very expensive at about £24/sqm + fitting. What you can see cost us £8k, but we had a lot of offcuts. Sufficient to do our daughter's small lawn!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eandg said:

For those who have artificial grass and are happy with their experience, any particular brands/types you'd recommend?

My grass was a lot less than 24/m. Ground is already compacted sandy soil so levelled that and compacted, layer of terram, 50mm new sand compacted and then another layer of terram. Area is about 160m install cost inc edgings was 5,300. If you're in the south let me know and I can put you in touch with the firm I used - don't think they travel far or if they did may cost a far bit

6 hours ago, Adam2 said:

My grass was a lot less than 24/m. Ground is already compacted sandy soil so levelled that and compacted, layer of terram, 50mm new sand compacted and then another layer of terram. Area is about 160m install cost inc edgings was 5,300. If you're in the south let me know and I can put you in touch with the firm I used - don't think they travel far or if they did may cost a far bit

In Scotland, but thanks. Has anyone installed themselves or is it definitely worth paying for professional installation?

I installed my own. It's basically a really heavy carpet. 

The important work is the base. Mine had 200mm of well compacted hardcore and then a level screed of sharp sand as the top.

I used treated fence rail as the edging which meant I could screw it down to hold it in place. The edging also acts as your screed rails. Depending on how wide your area is you could need more rails to get it perfectly flat.

Screenshot_2020-06-02-22-41-08-434_com.whatsapp.thumb.jpg.5fc7f5981026a53eb800fb62d74ada25.jpg

It's not the easiest thing to join together. You have to cut in-between the stitching on both sides and then when you pull them together they both fit without any difference in the grass. 

Screenshot_2020-06-02-22-40-47-680_com.whatsapp.thumb.jpg.c9964ff471a505167fb38fbbf5d3d325.jpg

It is very hard on Stanley knife blades for the cutting. They go blunt after a few metres of a cut.

• Like 1

If you live near any old mine workings  like old lead or tin  etc 

the waste they produced will not grow anything --so ideal under layer and probably

and if she convinces me to have grass --thats what i will be using under it as we have old lead+silvers mine around 

100years + later and the spoil piles grow nothing worth talking about 

look like they were made last year .

dughter in law has artifical lawn and she uses henry and power washer