Spraying door blanks

Russdl

We have two completely plain door blanks that will be pocket doors and we want to get them sprayed because my thoughts are that sprayed doors will look better than hand painted. Trouble is I can't find anyone locally who will do it so, the questions are:

1. Will spraying give a superior finish on a featureless door blank?

2. If not, what will?

3. Who can do it in the Salisbury area?

Standing by...

Well painting is a pet hate of mine (which is why I paid a local decorator to paint my new build) however, on my last job before retiring I could not find someone to paint a door blank but was told to use a gloss roller (small foam thing), I was amazed, really good finish after light sanding between coats (I would still rather pay  someone tho ?).

@joe90 after seeing the videos that @AnonymousBosch linked I’m tentatively thinking of giving it a go with said foam rollers, the blanks have been cut down a little bit so I’ve got 4 off cuts to hone my skills on before I go for the big one. 

@Nick1c thanks, absolutely no idea what Owatrol is I’ll have a look-see ?

@Nick1c interesting, thanks. 

How much more do I have to learn before this project is complete? Sadly I’m a bit like Homer Simpson, every time I learn something new my brain has to dump something to make room for it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at the videos as recommended by The Shapeshifter er, I mean @ToughButterCup and they were very informative, but as predicted my results are far from ideal.

It's a plywood faced door blank which I have sanded, primed, filled, sanded, undercoated, sanded, undercoated and have now applied one coat of topcoat with a high density foam roller. Whilst at first glance it looks ok, on closer examination it's clearly painted plywood. Does anyone know if the paint conditioner as mentioned by @Nick1c will cause the paint to fill all the very minor imperfections in the plywood and give a finish as smooth as a babies bum?

39 minutes ago, Russdl said:

I had a look at the videos as recommended by The Shapeshifter er, I mean @ToughButterCup and they were very informative, but as predicted my results are far from ideal.

It's a plywood faced door blank which I have sanded, primed, filled, sanded, undercoated, sanded, undercoated and have now applied one coat of topcoat with a high density foam roller. Whilst at first glance it looks ok, on closer examination it's clearly painted plywood. Does anyone know if the paint conditioner as mentioned by @Nick1c will cause the paint to fill all the very minor imperfections in the plywood and give a finish as smooth as a babies bum?

What was the last grade paper you used to sand it..?

The only way I have got rid of woodgrain is to use car filler and then 400 grade wet and dry paper - takes ages but it is the only thing that works unless you use high build primer and a decent gloss of two or three coats.