Best way to use wall panels in a shower cubicle?

Hi Guys

Planning a mini refurb of our shower cubicle without re tiling the whole bathroom.

The plan is to replace the leaky shower mixer with an exposed bar mixer. Replace the shower enclosure too.

Then fit two Multipanel panels over the existing tiles.

The question is:

If I fit the wall panels under the shower screen will the end trims of the panel throw the shower screen trim out of square?

Would it be better to butt the wall panel up against the wall panel?

Thanks 

260BB0B9-18A7-4BA1-98A8-7A6B4C3E5D2A.thumb.jpeg.914fc59fea8f50914fb0600238df5689.jpeg

Corner trim in the corner for me. Did the tart have upstands? 

I prefer to stop the panel 8mm off the tray with a 30 degree chamfered cut 

if it was mine I would take the door and frame off and stop the panels with edge trims exactly on the outside of the door frame profile 

• Like 1

No 1 tip, for something like this where you have to cut the panels to size and cut holes in them, template it with a large piece of cardboard and cut it from that:

wall_template.thumb.jpg.8a07718d3c34614646989aa4c46edffa.jpg

Corner trim and end trim on the two ends.

Do NOT use the multipanel bottom trim.  Others agree that it is a stupid design that leaves the bottom of the panel sat in water.  Instead finish the panel a few mm from the floor or shower tray and seal under the gap.

Run the panel down onto the shower tray, do not run it down behind and then put the tray in front, that is a recipe for leaks.

The trim panels are barely 1mm thick. Do not worry about them making things out of square. They are insignificant. the wall will be out of square / out of true by much more.

Finished result:

shower_1.thumb.jpg.f0328b07511a19513492461487a3d379.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Do NOT use the multipanel bottom trim.  Others agree that it is a stupid design that leaves the bottom of the panel sat in water.  Instead finish the panel a few mm from the floor or shower tray and seal under the gap.

..... and again I will add that I used the trim, filled it with clear ct1 And squished it on, installed the panel about 4 years ago and it is still perfect  I did NOT want any silicone on show and this worked perfectly. There is just no way water will get in if done correctly. I will do the same again In my next shower upgrade. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cpd said:

..... and again I will add that I used the trim, filled it with clear ct1 And squished it on, installed the panel about 4 years ago and it is still perfect  I did NOT want any silicone on show and this worked perfectly. There is just no way water will get in if done correctly. I will do the same again In my next shower upgrade. 

How did you seal between the panel and the shower tray at the bottom edges?

1 hour ago, Robert Clark said:

You run a bead of high quality silicone in the several mm vertical gap you have left below the panels.

Whether you fill it to the point where the silicone is proud and profile it using one of those oojie-boojie silicone profiling tools is I think up to you. I would.

F  

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

I also used the bottom trim and like @Cpd would do it again (with the make I bought, can’t remember the name. )

1 hour ago, Robert Clark said:

In my situation I used a shower tray that had 50-70mm upstands And brought the wall panel down over the  upstands and finished it  above the edge of the tray, next Time I will finish it higher as so that the gap is easier to clean.  

005FC0CB-BE5F-4FCE-A2D0-AC617FFF69A7.jpeg

• Like 2

I've nothing to add about wall boards, but I will be following the results with interest.  @Robert Clark are you throwing the old shower mixer and head etc away? It looks very much like the one in my old house that needs some attention. There might be some salvagable parts so I can put off a bathroom job I don't have time or desire to do right now.

59 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@CpdIs that the Multipanel Type X bottom profile...?

@PeterW Not sure of the make as it was all free from the builders merchants...... another stock take bonanza. The profile was higher at the back. This is it but in white. 

80C9A124-BDDA-4392-BA8E-D52978181D7D.jpeg

This was my base profile.  

Showerwall Sureseal

£12.49 + VAT

Comprising of 3 parts this sureseal system is made up of the main strip for the panels to be mounted to, end caps to seal off the ends and a front strip that pops in to place to hide the sealant and cut edges leaving a nice tidy finish once installed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnb said:

I've nothing to add about wall boards, but I will be following the results with interest.  @Robert Clark are you throwing the old shower mixer and head etc away? It looks very much like the one in my old house that needs some attention. There might be some salvagable parts so I can put off a bathroom job I don't have time or desire to do right now.

Yes I’m replacing the mixer and head, infact I’m replacing 3 of them.

Closer to the time if you let me know what bits you need I can get a quote for shipping 

• Thanks 1