GU10 or LED downlights

Visti

I can't decide whether to have integrated LEDs which are easier to get IP65 rated, higher lumens, and can be covered with insulation... Or GU10s where the bulbs can be replaced with relative ease.

I'd like to hear opinions and recommendations for decent lights if you have them!

GU10's for me.

If you choose anything else, make sure you keep plenty of spares, because my worry is when they fail in 5 or 10 years time, you won't be able to buy identical replacements.

• Thanks 1

I had the leds on latest place. I find they don't seem as bright but I had them because were a lower build height and I only had a 120mm ish void. Also used them in soffit because rated as you say. 12.50 ish a pop, brushed finish if I remember right

I will be choosing GU10s, and fitting them with Philips Hue GU10 bulbs to provide lighting automation. The idea is that if I sell up the incoming buyer does not want (to pay for) them, I can take all the Hue bulbs with me as I leave to the next place.

We fitted GU10 LED downlights. Personally I prefer bulbs with a wide angle (eg 90-160 degrees) as you get more even lighting and fewer hard shadows but for some reason narrow angle bulbs (30-50 degrees) seem to be more common.

As for brightness...

There are two types of halogen bulbs that people compare LEDs with... 230V GU10 and 12V MR16. In general MR16 halogen are brighter than GU10 halogen so GU10 halogen are usually spaced closer together than MR16.

When installing GU10 LED in a kitchen I recommend you pick LED bulbs with a light output of around 400 Lumens and install them at the spacing normally used for GU10 halogen or perhaps slightly closer together. If you do that they will be at least as bright as GU10 halogen and possibly brighter.  I think most places recommend rows 90-100cm apart but with the outer rows closer to the  walls, say 75cm away.

You can also choose between warm and cool/cold white LED. Personally I prefer warm white.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, christianbeccy said:

As a sidenote, I've never seen a Cool White LED in an installation where Warm White didn't look better. In simpler terms, I wouldn't ever recommend Cool White.

Works well in a bathroom. Bright white light.

I changed mine a few years back to LED GU10, couldn't see for three days in there while my eyes adjusted but couldn't without now.

1 hour ago, christianbeccy said:

As a sidenote, I've never seen a Cool White LED in an installation where Warm White didn't look better. In simpler terms, I wouldn't ever recommend Cool White.

I'm with you!

• Like 1