Where to run my drainage behind a retaining wall

Hi 

I am going to build a 2-tier retaining wall for my driveway. 8m in length.

The higher tier will be 1.1m.

The lower tier will be 600mm.

I am looking into drainage behind each wall and it looks like a french drain is my best option.

But I do not know where to outlet the water. I cannot let it come out onto the pavement so could someone please advise on what I should do.

I have attached a picture of my drive currently.

Thanks.

IMG_20200519_170329.jpg

What's under the sheets? Looks like you have weed suppression sheets down.

If you want to level and pave or tarmac the front you should probably put a soakaway under it first.

These days if you don't deal with rainwater run off on site you will need to make a planning application.

We want to level out the driveway for 2 reasons.

1. My parents live with me and it's getting harder for them to navigate the slope.

2. Kerb appeal. It looks unfinished at the moment.

When I bought the house it was similar to my neighbors drive (image attached).

We cleared it all thinking it would be better with an entrance/exit in the middle.

That isn't the case anymore so want to have the driveway level in line with the front door height, 1.1metres.

IMG_20200516_131951.jpg

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

Maybe me being  thick 

but why 

to what purpose do you want to divide up the area for

neither side have tiered front areas ,so you will be needing to build end walls as well

Sorry mate, don't quite understand your post but please read my newest one which hopefully makes things clearer

If the soil is permeable a soakaway under the parking area would be the best option.

You should also read..

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/45/paving_your_front_garden

Planning permission

Specific rules apply for householders wanting to pave over their front gardens.

You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not provide for the water to run to a permeable area.

In short you need planning permission to tarmac, concrete or pave a front garden unless you deal with rainwater run off on site. That usually means drains to collect rainwater and a soakaway but if the area of hard surface is small and the soil is very free draining you might get away with sloping the ground towards flower beds. The thing to avoid is rainwater running down the driveway onto the road.

Hi all.

Please find designs attached.

We are leaning towards having the design with the stairs on the right hand side.

If anyone can help with my original question regarding drainage, please do.

The second wall, which is the highest, will be 1m so no need for planning permission.

We plan to have gravel on the driveway.

Screenshot_20200603-153738.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-153730.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-153746.jpg

Edited by Zeffo77
Adding extra info

You will need foundations, let’s say 450 deep, concrete, and I think protective railings on each level, I would dig a soak away 3m back in the middle 2m deep and run land drains back to it that link to perforated pipes that run behind the bottom of each wall.

how about Gabions, plonk em down, done, cheap, easy paving slab steps between two of the.