MVHR intake/exhaust presentation to the exterior

We're half way through building the shell for our 430sqm dormer bungalow. Now after designing/altering and studying the plans countless times I've just realised that having the plant room to the front of the house may not be ideal in terms of external aesthetics, although for MVHR it is on the north side of the house so performance in summer will be better. 

So I'm looking for any pictures of external wall exhaust/intake vents so I can try and get my head around how I can make them look ok.  Or, I'm wondering would it be possible to run them to roof terminals? 

The same issue will be for the gas boiler. In hindsight I should of located the plant room on another elevation but the layout wouldn't of worked as well. 

I wish I had put mine on the roof, far more discreet and won't have water streaks form below the vents, compared to wall mounted ones. I thought the kit I had ordered had to roof vent's, however when the roofer asked for them I realised I didn't have them and he would wait for them, so I put vents on the gable

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

The only problem with those is that they cause a significant restriction to flow. I bought a couple and gave them away for that reason.

What did you use instead? These are what BPC supplies witg my MVHR and I'm in the process of installing. 

59 minutes ago, BMcN said:

What did you use instead? These are what BPC supplies witg my MVHR and I'm in the process of installing. 

I made some. The inflow to the MVHR should have the lowest flow restriction of any of the ducting. I have 125mm diameter ducting and in order to maximise flow into the unit I used 45 degree bends and a short pipe run. The vent I made was 230mm square and by using a grille and insect screen of that size I got slightly better flow area than the ducting. IIRC I used 2mm or 2.5mm stainless steel woven mesh for the insect screen. Some of the mesh companies give flow rates for their different products.

P7080001.thumb.JPG.203f4452f6c59d908e60f5dcc9c8ad16.JPG

Edited by PeterStarck
Pressed the wrong button.
  • Like 1