Pocket Door Limits (or other suggestions?)

Pocket doors are great for certain situations, in particular if they are intended to be "mostly open" - which is the case for my kitchen. Reason for it being there in the first place is to close off any smells and perhaps reduce the view of mess if we are in the livingroom.

My question: How deeply can you hide pocket doors into walls? (and should you?)

See below:

pocketdoor.thumb.jpg.078ece6da3ba1d8494fccf0dbfd59def.jpg

In particular:

- In the top, the PD is entering into the external wall.. How deep, if at all, can you do this

- At the bottom, the PD is entering into the stair side wall. I realise that would block putting any (other) doors in there, but are there other downsides?

Any other suggestions? Other types of doors? (of course we've debated bifolds but they store a lot of stuff in the way of walking paths..

Of course even if theoretically I can insert it into a external wall it will punch through a window... 

door.thumb.jpg.a6db831c4a9cc0baab88f2c91b90d512.jpg

But indeed more realistically it would mean the wall -window would have to be smaller..

48 minutes ago, Jilly said:

I've seen a very posh tall glass door set to pivot in the centre. Cant find a picture. It might be ok for a larger area.

Interesting. So if it pivots you basically have two "halls" that you can choose to go left or right side? Just trying to picture it.

'. So if it pivots you basically have two "halls" that you can choose to go left or right side? Just trying to picture it'

Yes, that's right. Just found the magazine: a Quadra pivot door system by Massimo Luca. Could be expensive...

3 hours ago, Dan Feist said:

Look at the door specs, this will tell you how big the frame is given a door size (assuming you use this approach rather than do something custom).

e.g. https://www.eclisse.co.uk/content/tech_specs/Tech Specs 2018/ECL_Syntesis Flush Single_UK_18.pdf

I installed an Eclisse . It was a mare with 10 different instructions! . But the quality overall was really good . Our glass pocket door weighed 45kg so was a bit of a dog on my own .

So far I've used my arch program's "default pocket door' mode, which simply moves a door into and out of the wall.

And my current design roughly fits a 2m50 gap without doing strange things to external walls. 

But - it seems like there's such a thing as telescopic pocket doors!

eclisse-telescopic-sliding-pocket-door-system-double_1_1000x720__00435.1487842910.thumb.jpg.d3c34353f42cbc1ea38b3972512a8366.jpg

You learn something every day. 

Given that I have about 4.8m worth of wall, am I reading this spec sheet correctly, that I can indeed fit 3.1m worth of passage? Not bad...

I do like @Jilly's door suggestion (open for more suggestions) but indeed the problem with a single pivot to me seems that to achieve even a 3m gap I'd need 1.5m worth of distance. Not insane but it feels a bit limiting where you can not really move behind the door.. 

• Like 1

All I would add is have a look at prices before you get set on an idea 

it all looks lovely on the screen but when you come to buy them you wish you had thought of another idea

im finding the shiny pictures from an American website im working to are 

1. Very expensive. 

2. Above my skill set. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

All I would add is have a look at prices before you get set on an idea 

it all looks lovely on the screen but when you come to buy them you wish you had thought of another idea

im finding the shiny pictures from an American website im working to are 

1. Very expensive. 

Ha you're not wrong, these doors were a bit weirdly priced though - https://www.eclisse.co.uk/content/price-lists/Telescopic-Price-Mar-2017.pdf - it *seems* like 928.. which is doable, but then it says 'doors not supplied'.. so it's just the rail system?

@pocster - do you have any insight to offer on how much eclisse doors cost?

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

2. Above my skill set. 

Well I'm not DIYing anyway, I expect/hope the builder can handle this?

New quick question. how naturally bright should a kitchen be? And how bright will my design so far be? I think it's not too bad, but effectively my kitchen has no windows of its own, just large openings to rooms with lots of light?

Clearly you want to see the stuff you're prepping/cleaning but that will require dedicated directed light anyway. And for moodlighting presumaby you actually don't want *too* much light?