New Member - Hi!

guyspartacus

Hi all, just introducing myself as I'll be on these pages a lot in the coming months.

I've just exchanged contracts on an old pub in a Kent village - just down the road from where I live now. Plans are to extend the first floor and ground floors creating a 5 bed detached property with detached new build double garage.

This is our first foray into any form of building work though I work in the construction industry myself so I am definitely going to be on a steep learning curve.

Architects are currently drawing up building regs drawings so we can then get firm prices from builders.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice right off the bat ref anything they wish they'd done sooner or wish they knew earlier?

We've bought it as a second property temporarily while we sell our current house so we're getting stung for double stamp duty (that we can claim back once ours is sold). After that we'll be in a caravan on the site.

Thanks in advance!

55 minutes ago, guyspartacus said:

Just wondering if anyone has any advice right off the bat ref anything they wish they'd done sooner or wish they knew earlier?

• Had more confidence in speaking out when I saw poor workmanship.
  • The extent of local tradespeople's networks. The goss on ....
  • Which local tradesfolk are shite and why.
  • The levels of distress and poor personal performance caused by frequent sleeplessness 
  • The levels of blarney talked by tradespeople 
  • The need to forgive and move on - eye on the main prize.
  • The range of meanings of unreturned phone calls
  • The balls to kick people off site instantly when evidence and fingertip feel matched
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Hi and welcome.

There are some complex VAT rules on conversions.  Be aware of time limits on the sale for SDLT.

Are you going to be hands on?

Thanks - yeah. We’re hoping to be sold in the next few months so well within the 3 year limit.

VAT wise I need to do a bit more research but some will be standard and some at 5% I believe

28 minutes ago, guyspartacus said:

VAT wise I need to do a bit more research but some will be standard and some at 5% I believe

Really you need professional advice on this. Have a browse through the VAT section https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/forum/174-vat-reclaim-queries-guidance/, but pub to resi VAT rules are beyond a bit of light reading.