Permitted Development Stable Conversions

Coops

Hi again folks 

Under English permitted development rules is it even possible (commercially viable) to turn a small timber stable block into an annexe to the main dwelling?

Love to hear any thoughts.

Edited by Coops
Typo

Yes, I've seen some pretty basic looking agricultural buildings converted into some amazing homes..I guess that permitted development rule has driven the upswing in modern sheds being developed, but is it viable in terms of achieving building regs?

New build is often cheaper per m2 than conversion.  Obviously a lot depends on how well the current building is constructed. A fair few commercial buildings have far better spec foundation and structures than dwellings do.

There's a simple hierarchy.... if it ain't permitted it cant be financially viable. So work on permitted or not first.

Here's a copper bottomed rock solid bloke. His writings need some work, but hey if theres money at the end of it.....

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/permitted-development-excluded-in-aonb.html

On 28/05/2020 at 21:31, Coops said:

Hi again folks 

Under English permitted development rules is it even possible (commercially viable) to turn a small timber stable block into an annexe to the main dwelling?

Love to hear any thoughts.

I am 99% sure that equestrian use is excluded from the definition of agricultural buildings, so not covered by Class Q.  So I would check carefully on that point.

4 hours ago, Randomiser said:

I am 99% sure that equestrian use is excluded from the definition of agricultural buildings, so not covered by Class Q.  So I would check carefully on that point.

I'm 100% sure you're right

Yes I think the the definition is pretty clear, stables are equestrian and not agricultural. Looks like a full planning application, although reading a little further about class Q PD, looks like it might be more hassle than its worth..thanks to all.