Plumbing advice

jamieled

Evening all. My next job is to plumb in my water treatment system. Some of it is shown here:

20200526_174152.thumb.jpg.95a5c17737aa731512da42fc764ebfe3.jpg

There is also a UV filter to go in. I do not have a lot in the way of plumbing experience so need a bit of direction. I would like to use copper for the majority as I find mdpe fittings bulky. It seems I can use soldered, compression or push fittings for copper. Any advice on the best way to go? I will be using 22mm copper and will need to be able to go from copper to plastic on occasion as a couple of the filters have plastic female threads.

Secondly a more specific query, how do I include a couple of pressure gauges like these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Pressure-Gauge-air-oil-or-water-50mm-0-30-PSI-0-2-Bar-1-4-BSPT-Bottom/142459828791?hash=item212b447a37:g:cpsAAOSwcUBYH2qi

I can't quite understand how the gauge goes into any fitting. Do I need a t piece with a 1/4 inch fitting?

I would be inclined to use copper compression everywhere - you will be able to modify it easier and unless you’re sure on push fit, the Tectite copper fittings are once only unless you buy the expensive ones. 

For your pressure gauge you need a 1/4BSPT hexagon bush, threaded into a 22/22/1/2 female tee 

A decent thread sealant is always good, and spanners that fit along with a nice set of pipe pliers to hold the fittings straight. 

I’d assume the plastic female stuff is 3/4 BSP - be careful not to strip it with brass fittings and always try and find an adapter with a flat face or shoulder when going into plastic and check the depth of threads too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamieled said:

Evening all. My next job is to plumb in my water treatment system. Some of it is shown here:

There is also a UV filter to go in. I do not have a lot in the way of plumbing experience so need a bit of direction. I would like to use copper for the majority as I find mdpe fittings bulky. It seems I can use soldered, compression or push fittings for copper. Any advice on the best way to go? I will be using 22mm copper and will need to be able to go from copper to plastic on occasion as a couple of the filters have plastic female threads.

Secondly a more specific query, how do I include a couple of pressure gauges like these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Pressure-Gauge-air-oil-or-water-50mm-0-30-PSI-0-2-Bar-1-4-BSPT-Bottom/142459828791?hash=item212b447a37:g:cpsAAOSwcUBYH2qi

I can't quite understand how the gauge goes into any fitting. Do I need a t piece with a 1/4 inch fitting?

1 hour ago, jamieled said:

@jamieled I'm.quite interested in your set up here. Have you got a borehole?  Did you buy your water treatment  equipment  independently?  

I've planned a bore hole but hadn't bothered researching if I could get the treatment equipment cheaper than buying through the borehole supplier.

I know my way well around plumbing and I have designed hydraulics for the last 15 years. 

Copper is certainly more aesthetically pleasing with soldered joints and integrity should be good (done well!) However as an amateur push fit stuff will be very forgiving and cheap if not pretty. 

If you want a nice end job. Plan the routes, mount the equipment then have a GOOD time served plumber come for a day and make it look nice.

Thanks @PeterW, very helpful.

@SuperJohnG, we are on a surface water supply from a burn. The big cylinder is the iron treatment filter, as we have a high iron level. Not sure we ended up with the best bit of kit here as it doubles as a water softener which we don't need. I think I can get away with out using this part of it.

I went through a local company in Inverness. They double checked what I thought I needed. Happy to pass on costs for comparison if it helps?

Agree on all you say about the plumbing. I too work in hydraulics (more on the design side), so happy with bigger stuff generally!

As this is so important to us, I don't really want to outsource the fitting. If it ever breaks or needs work, I need to be able to repair relatively quickly so being able to put it together and take it apart is more important to me than aesthetics (so long as I can get it functional).

• Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 08:24, jamieled said:

Thanks @PeterW, very helpful.

@SuperJohnG, we are on a surface water supply from a burn. The big cylinder is the iron treatment filter, as we have a high iron level. Not sure we ended up with the best bit of kit here as it doubles as a water softener which we don't need. I think I can get away with out using this part of it.

I went through a local company in Inverness. They double checked what I thought I needed. Happy to pass on costs for comparison if it helps?

Agree on all you say about the plumbing. I too work in hydraulics (more on the design side), so happy with bigger stuff generally!

As this is so important to us, I don't really want to outsource the fitting. If it ever breaks or needs work, I need to be able to repair relatively quickly so being able to put it together and take it apart is more important to me than aesthetics (so long as I can get it functional).

Thanks @jamieled even the name of the company would be helpful. Cheers