Another Door Lining Issue

Boris

Hi.  We have a timber frame house, so external walls are very thick.  Here is the door seen utility side, it goes into the internal garage.  The door had to be hinged on the right side.  From the utility it looks tacky.  Door stop a nasty afterthought.  We have thought about replacing the door stop with a wider piece of architrave.  What do you good and wise people think ?  Also any pics of your similar doors would be gratefully studied.  TIA.

15905073223754076505684159390915.jpg

Hi @Boris we too have a similar set up leading from our kitchen area into the utility room. See photos below as to how we overcame it. Doesn't look out of place and if anything, i feel it adds a bit of character. Two shots from the kitchen side showing the deep recess and then one from the other side, in the utility room showing it to be flush so to speak. 

I hope this helps.

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

• Like 1

My door to the garage is as above.

I have several internal doors on wide load bearing structural walls and I had to make my own door liners, doubly difficult because they are Oak.

architrave_1.thumb.jpg.ef1aa9ee9ec9bcaf16b8688b163e3552.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/05/2020 at 16:35, Boris said:

Door stop a nasty afterthought.

That was probably a cheap way of meeting fire door requirements - a door to an integral garage must be a fire door.

If you have a fire door with intumescent strips and smoke seals I would expect that you could use thinner door stops, and could probably replace them with an alternative timber, but to be covered legally you would need to ask the door manufacturer for advice (the Fire Door Alliance  advise that the door and lining is certified as a set).