Down & Up

Puff

Barn conversion, lot of new cavity wall/insulation and definitely doing UFH on the ground floor (especially after how much work I've had to do to get it ready for a new pad!) but what about the first floor? 

Obviously UFH is less intrusive but likely more costly to install. What is the better option and why?

Many folks on here get by without any heating upstairs (including some that installed it but find they never need to use it). This is what we're planning too, but with some future proofing so we can easily add panel heaters or blown hot/cold air if needed in future.

It depends on exactly how much insulation and airtightness the building has as a whole. Are you planning to install MVHR, and have you had any thermal modelling/heat load estimate made? If not then @Jeremy Harris had a helpful spreadsheet that can be used to get a pretty good estimate. 

+1, UFH downstairs, electric UFH in ensuite, electric towel rads in both bathrooms, no heating elsewhere upstairs but a couple of fan heaters in the cupboard in case of extreme cold/feeling unwell etc (they have not been needed yet) I don’t like overheated bedrooms but I do like an electric blanket in winter ?