Hopeful begginner

Bernie

In process of selling "family home" in tiny rural village in Scottish Borders . I'm consider building small 2 bed house in same area as its me and spare room for student/globetrotting kids. The Avrame Trio 75 really appeals and although not got plot as yet, several for sale here partial serviced. Level plots, drainage in and electric within 40 metres even at furthest plot.  Plots have outline planning permission for one/one and a half storey houses.

Avrame trio 75 kits including interior and exterior coming in at around £35K. 

Realistically I'd like to get it up and finished for £60-65. (excluding plot obv). I'm not a builder (nurse to trade!) but renovated a few houses over years so all internal, kitchen/bathroom/ flooring etc Id be doing myself . Plenty local contacts so should keep necessary tradesmen costs to a minimum. 

Not even sure if I'd get planning permission but just thought I'd put it out there. Anyone had experience of Avrames?, am I being unrealistic re costs?, pitfalls etc.

Any advice welcome.

Bernie

Hi @Bernie

Welcome to the forum, lots of good information to be found here. I'm a bit north of you just south of Glasgow. 

A kit at 35k sounds very cheap in my opinion and most likely unrealistic. I had a quick look at the website and see they are made in Estonia,  I've not had any experience of buying lots from abroad (or at all yet as I'm a fee months away from making final decision on kit supplier) but sounds too good to be true or will be very very basic and you could get better local. 

Fleming homes are down your way, they make kit houses and will know the local authority well and planning requirements. I've heard some good reports about them on here. 

Being complete for 65k seems very optimistic even if you do a lot (most) of the work yourself. 

I would investigate services and the plots locally in detail to understand how much it will cost to get it fully serviced then possibly work from there for a house design to meet tour requirements and size. 

If you wanted a two bedroom small bungalow say 80m2 for the build alone as a minimum youd be looking at somewhere around £1200/m2  if you were doing a lot yourself and you werent in a rush. So say 96k plus a 10% contingency  then services and plot on top. 

This is of course on my my opinion.but hopefully helpful..

Best of luck. 

Hi and welcome

I don't know what the planners are like down your way but up here in the Highlands they are very set against A frame houses. they want either something traditional, or contemporary, but not an A frame.Perhaps you should try and enquire?

• 1 year later...