Long Extension Lead vs Generator...

I need temporary power at the end of my garden. I know I can comfortably get there with 70-80m of cable, as I got close with the 2x30m cable reels I have.

I'm thinking of buying 2 good quality cable-reel extensions, the best I can find is 1.5mm, but most are 1.25mm cable. Should I make my own up with 2.5mm cable and an empty reel? Or is that just overkill? I'd do it with 2 instead of 1 long one to make it more practical to use.

A Generator is another alternative, but I think the ongoing maintenance and moving it around make that a less practical solution.

I'll probably need to use a Hedge Cutter, maybe a small Electric Chainsaw and/or a lead-light.

If you go the cable route which is the simplest and most useful. Either use a single cable or join what you have with ip68 connectors rather than just plugging one extension into another. Generators are a real pain for you and anyone in ear shot. We used a power lead from a neighbour during the early stages of our build and it was a real god sent.

• Like 1

Just now, Simon R said:

If you go the cable route which is the simplest and most useful. Either use a single cable or join what you have with ip68 connectors rather than just plugging one extension into another. Generators are a real pain for you and anyone in ear shot. We used a power lead from a neighbour during the early stages of our build and it was a real god sent.

Naturally, I like the idea of a single cable for simplicity. But what tempts me to do it with 2 is that I can use a shorter reel when needed. What is the practical disadvantage of running 2 leads in line?

1 minute ago, christianbeccy said:

What is the practical disadvantage of running 2 leads in line?

No problem with stripping the cable off two spools and joining them with an IP68 connector. If you simply plug one lead into the other your almost certain to get moisture problems over time and it will start tripping your RCD.

1 hour ago, Hobbiniho said:

what i would do is go to a electrical wholesaler and purchase a roll of 2.5mm flex and a wireable RCD plug and extension socket, this way you can make it as long as you want

And spend half an hour rewiring it afterwards when you want a shorter one.

Edited by Ferdinand

Voltage drop is the problem. You'll probably be alright with trimmers as they don't use too much juice. But a chainsaw takes a bit more, and don't even think about anything with an induction motor (power washer, compressor) as they really dont like the supply being low.

• Like 3

Just now, dpmiller said:

Voltage drop is the problem. You'll probably be alright with trimmers as they don't use too much juice. But a chainsaw takes a bit more, and don't even think about anything with an induction motor (power washer, compressor) as they really dont like the supply being low.

We used the Chainsaw on the end of our current two 30m basic leads last week, luckily no issues there. So I think an off-the-shelf cable reel will probably be OK actually, I'm just trying to be a little better.

A 1 kW load will need a 1.5mm2 cable, at 80m length, the volt drop will be 4.4% (10.1V)

A 2 kW load will need 4mm2 cable, at 80m length, the volt drop will be  3.3% (7.7V)

(this is not strictly accurate as I used the TLC calculator which assumes it is for fixed in place wiring)

A quick look on eBay and I found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lengths-H07RN-F-Rubber-HO7RN-F-Outdoor-Black/dp/B075ZFLLTG/ref=sr_1_5

About the same as a cheap generator.

Edited by SteamyTea

I have a couple of long extension leads I occasionally use together fir a hedge trimmer ( I did buy a second hand generator but it was a pain/noisy to use). Just make sure it’s dry, fully unwound and put away after use and it will be fine.

• Like 1

Some discussion here on this old thread about cable size needed. How about using a hose reel?

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/100m-mains-extension-lead.284474/

If you decide to ignore the voltsge drop becareful what you plug in. Something like a pressure washer can behave a bit like a constant power device drawing more current if the voltage drops. Can actually burn out.

• Like 2

If you decide to make one.. A 100m reel of 2.5mm^2 flex is about £80 in black and £90+ in orange.  Rubber 13A plug and socket £7. Hose reel/cart perhaps £20-40.

That would probably be ok for a (typical 500-750W) hedge trimmer but for a 2kw electric chainsaw you need 4mm^2 which adds another £70-90.

Edited by Temp