Poor percolation.

Hi,

Has anyone used puraflo system for there drainage?

I'm told I can use pod things as my percolation test failed for being too slow. This slows it down enough to discharge into the soil I'm assuming.

Thanks

Edited by Mike_scotland

If you have to discharge rainwater into the ground (rather than a ditch or drain) and your percolation rate is slow you have to store the water somehow to give time for it to percolate away. It doesn't really matter if that "storage volume" is part of a soakaway, separate plastic tank, drainage crates etc as long as it's big enough.

For example crates like these are designed to be both storage and a soakaway (when wrapped with a membrane) at the same time..

https://www.gclproducts.co.uk/p/civils-and-drainage/soakaway-crates/recocrate/?attribute_weight-bearing=20+Tonne&gclid=CjwKCAjwk6P2BRAIEiwAfVJ0rHale208EnyPm9n7gx_Ebt5lMvfnMQ0o7gF5LFJrltzeDaPAD9omxxoC4CQQAvD_BwE

Edited by Temp

I looked into the puraflow and also above ground filter mounds.

You still need some percolation.  The difference, is for these above ground systems, you just dig a 300mm deep hole and do your percolation test in that effectively at ground level.  What made that work (in theory at least) for us was it is high water table in winter that stops a normal deep infiltration field from working.

So repeat your percolation tests in a shallow 300mm hole at ground level and see what percolation rate you get.

In our case building control rejected both and then said "why don't you discharge to the burn"  SEPA had initially told us no to discharge to the burn, they say they only allow it as a last resort.  I guess by the point BC had rejected two schemes they agreed we had exhausted all avenues and granted us a discharge permit.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

If you have to discharge rainwater into the ground (rather than a ditch or drain) and your percolation rate is slow you have to store the water somehow to give time for it to percolate away. It doesn't really matter if that "storage volume" is part of a soakaway, separate plastic tank, drainage crates etc as long as it's big enough.

For example crates like these are designed to be both storage and a soakaway (when wrapped with a membrane) at the same time..

https://www.gclproducts.co.uk/p/civils-and-drainage/soakaway-crates/recocrate/?attribute_weight-bearing=20+Tonne&gclid=CjwKCAjwk6P2BRAIEiwAfVJ0rHale208EnyPm9n7gx_Ebt5lMvfnMQ0o7gF5LFJrltzeDaPAD9omxxoC4CQQAvD_BwE

Thanks Temp.

43 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I looked into the puraflow and also above ground filter mounds.

You still need some percolation.  The difference, is for these above ground systems, you just dig a 300mm deep hole and do your percolation test in that effectively at ground level.  What made that work (in theory at least) for us was it is high water table in winter that stops a normal deep infiltration field from working.

So repeat your percolation tests in a shallow 300mm hole at ground level and see what percolation rate you get.

In our case building control rejected both and then said "why don't you discharge to the burn"  SEPA had initially told us no to discharge to the burn, they say they only allow it as a last resort.  I guess by the point BC had rejected two schemes they agreed we had exhausted all avenues and granted us a discharge permit.

Hi ProDave,

Yeah he did that failed under the ground so it was ok in the topsoil section, that makes sense what your all saying.

So we need 2 of the pods there 2.5k each I think. 

We were allowed a rainwater recycling tank and overflow to a piped ditch but our tank doesn't buffer storm surge if it's already full. The tank is only used for gardening but it's been very useful. We pump the water several hundred yards to an allotment using garden hose quite regularly.