Minimum stairs in a new build - 42degree?

9 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Your architect must have produced a workable section in order for the elevations to have been produced? The section would show the exact build up of all the various elements... their structure, insulation and internal finishes. This would really start putting a perspective on how much space you have, in particular at second floor/loft level.

I assume the cross sections you’ve provided are as you said just generic ones with the software you’re using as the floor to ceiling heights, first and second floor thicknesses along with roof build up do not appear to be relatable or feasible?

In terms of the roof structure, your two options would be cranked steels with cut timbers (First image) or attic trusses (Second image). Whichever option you/the architect/the engineer go with, the rafters would more than likely be 220-225mm deep, which excludes any insulation required to the underside.

627CD006-AB88-4DA1-8FD6-3E8EF5F92516.png

BB734D34-C812-4061-A886-F3862FFEC3A1.jpeg

Very useful info, thank you!

I'll take a look, see the picture below too - I suspect the idea is indeed the attic trusses.

8 hours ago, andyscotland said:

FWIW when I was a kid if I had a bookcase that opened to a hidden spiral stair to an attic playroom I would have *loved* it and doubtless been the envy of all my friends. It'd be a perfect treehouse/crow's nest/space station/whatever for younger imagination games and a brilliant hideaway as they get older.

Clearly the 'fun' side is a spiral stairway - but not something to really base my decision on... 

Depends on how much you value the trade-off of getting stuff up there (trapdoor and winch is not a bad workaround IMO, or just get everything flat pack and build in situ), and perhaps more importantly the fact it would undoubtedly mean you'd be hosting all the playdates for years to come!

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The suggestion by @DevilDamo seems the simplest and best.  You would need a gallery landing to join the hall outside bed 4 to the bottom of the 1st to 2nd floor stair.  Have the same landing / void arrangement as the first floor.  There would be future potential to make this floor a master suite / teenagers / au pair accommodation and would be of value when selling.

Yup, it's pretty 'standard', and well, perhaps for good reason. But I'd imagine it's a lot more expensive to do a full floating stairway vs a spiral, and my renders seem to show quite serious negative impact to the view upward - a lot more cluttered. Given that I don't think a spiral stairway is a dealbreaker for making use of the loft in a meaningful way (eg for an au pair) and it's all too much based on 'future theory' I'm tempted towards sticking with spiral for now.

The sections you have do not seem correct.

Yup, I think I've thoroughly confused the program with my random tinkering which therefore refuses to render a sensible roof. But an older version of the architect's doc:
1057770154_Screenshot2020-05-24at18_38_35.thumb.png.183bf0575be67a4e30ce4798c5f6b0a7.png

Seems to show one room's worth of space. Not 'ample' anyway.

Edited by puntloos

It doesn’t look like the door from the Landing to Bed 4 will work, unless you don’t mind the corner of the door being chamfered to suit the roof profile of the front gable?

It also sounds like you’re pretty much decided on the spiral staircase irrespective of the advice you have been given so will not comment on it anymore.

Edited by DevilDamo

1 hour ago, DevilDamo said:

It doesn’t look like the door from the Landing to Bed 4 will work, unless you don’t mind the corner of the door being chamfered to suit the roof profile of the front gable?

I'm not sure what you mean. Looking at this picture:

544100873_Screenshot2020-05-24at21_58_57.png.91958562591dfaec9bfda0c0c916ac7e.png

I think the door you mean is the ... eh I keep on hesitating, so many doors, but the chamfering I can only imagine happening in the loft, not in bedroom 4?

I *think* you mean the door in the loft, which presumably will exit close to the roof? Doesn't that also depend on the total ceiling height and where the spiral exits (function of # of steps? ceiling height?) Or is it always a full turn regardless of how high?

1 hour ago, DevilDamo said:

It also sounds like you’re pretty much decided on the spiral staircase irrespective of the advice you have been given so will not comment on it anymore.

Well.. I won't deny I'm still liking the spiral, but the problem with a spiral is that the upsides are pretty straightforward and apparent, you get a contained stair in a box. But the downsides that this thread have brought to light are many, most of them small(ish), but good to know nonetheless, and I haven't quite decided (plus it's not just my call, my wife, the architect..) 

Please don't feel you've been wasting your time, I'm not really dead-set on, or against any solution, but most of the downsides so far  are cancelled out by the fact that most of them happen rarely (guests, transporting large stuff up/down) vs seeing the cluttered void every day..

I was referring to the front Bedroom (within the projecting part). The plan attached a couple of posts up noted this as Bedroom 4 but your latest extract shows Bedroom 4 in the top left. What’s the latest plan for the front part of the house, in particular the first floor?

15 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The suggestion by @DevilDamo seems the simplest and best.  You would need a gallery landing to join the hall outside bed 4 to the bottom of the 1st to 2nd floor stair.  Have the same landing / void arrangement as the first floor.  There would be future potential to make this floor a master suite / teenagers / au pair accommodation and would be of value when selling.

Understood, yes, I can see there would be a value to it.. It's a tough call. Clearly a spiral staircase would not really make it work for a 'permanent' room you'd be in every day. But there's also a downside to cram as many rooms into a space as you can. 6 bedrooms on a 27x15 plot is a bit ... much. 

It's tough to put my finger on it but I think storage, kids play area, nice chillout area might be better than trying to squeeze another major room into it... I would just love to know if there are any good rules around this.

15 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The sections you have do not seem correct.

The normal floors are fairly OK I think, but definitely one should ignore the roof shape completely..

Put most of it here now: 

10 hours ago, puntloos said:

plus it's not just my call, my wife, the architect.

it’s not your architects call (unless he points out it will NOT work!!!). It’s YOUR house, have what you both want, yes a spiral does limit furniture movement but if it’s what you want then go for it. ?.