Fibaro switch wiring lack of knowledge!

@ProDave need your assistance again if you don’t mind .

I thought I should ask as this is 240v mains - I’d rather it was 12v

So !

I stick 240v L and N to it no probs 

I want to close a dry contact I.e not stick 240v into the attached device !!! ( this is what worries me ! ) BANG ! ?

So , am I correct I put my 12v dc 2 wires on S1 and S2 ? . Simple as that ??

I’m not use to these tiny relays taking 240v - their size makes me think “wont it overheat ? “ or “where’s the big transformer ? “

E38129DB-4524-4833-BB5F-DD7E70E61E81.jpeg

43 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

no, you just leave the "IN" disconnected from L and then your dry contacts are "IN " and the next terminal.

S! and S2 are remote switches, 240V in as triggers.

Thanks 

the next terminal is labelled on the unit as Q .

Online says Q is “output terminal of the load “

So dry contacts on in and q ?

Just double checking before I electrocute stuff ( would be much happier if they did a 12v dc powered relay ) .

Ok !

Not quite there !

Got the resistors . Put one on the + output 12v . Psu doesn’t short now .

So button push illuminated . When pressed not illuminated- all great .

The fibaro input sensor doesn’t change state though ( its always on ) . I put the in1 sensor on ground ( which runs to psu , button push switch ) . That’s correct isn’t it ??

6B506C47-6C69-4AA5-BEC3-649AE1CC6E75.jpeg

The more I think about this the more I don’t think it will work how I want .

I *think* I need to alter the actual doorbell button . 
It’s powered for its Led ; when pressed I assume makes an open circuit - which the sensor needs .

But then the sensor isn’t powered ?

Maybe ....

Back to 2 psu’s ? . One so sensor constantly powered . Then sensor in1 just gets connected to door button gnd .Other for door button so it can go ‘open’ on being pressed ?

I’ve confused myself again !

Edited by pocster

I got it working !

Sensor will never change state BUT ! when the button is pressed and creates an open circuit it also causes the sensor to send it’s status . Though it’s status never changes I can act on the fact it’s status was sent I.e status is only sent on button press !

Edited by pocster

42 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why not just buy a doorbell like a normal person ..??

No ambition !

Human pushes door bell .

ip cameras records said human activity and stores that as a seperate movie .

Ipad screen downstairs then shows video of person at the door .

Underground dwelling human then if they wish can press icon on iPad screen to unlock door or not .

If said underground dwelling human isn’t actually in the house his phone shows up camera of potential imposter . Unlock door remotely or ignore ?

Why make things hard ?

HA !!!

I don't understand why it does not work.

Door bell not pressed, light is on, sensor input should read high or on.

Door bell button pressed, button shorts out LED, resistor in circuit now protects PSU from going into current limit and input should read low or off.

Put a multimeter between ground and sensor input.  What voltage does it read with the button not pressed?  what voltage does it read with the button pressed?

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Door bell button pressed, button shorts out LED, resistor in circuit now protects PSU from going into current limit and input should read low or off.

Put a multimeter between ground and sensor input.  What voltage does it read with the button not pressed?  what voltage does it read with the button pressed?

Will do @ProDave !!!

On 05/06/2020 at 15:57, ProDave said:

I think the meter readings suggest what you expect .

No button press 10.5v ish

pressed 0v

?

So the sensor is wired to 5v - the in1 binary is set on gnd .

Are all the gnds to the same gnd ? I.e all tied together . I know it’s a stupid question ?

Edited by pocster

• 3 months later...

Sigh ! This kind of worked ( well not really ) . I relied on seeing the device powered up rather its status reporting . Anyway - busted that ...Got a fibaro implant . 
Door bell is lit . Presume when button pushed a ‘state change’ would happen on its gnd . But in1 on sensor doesn’t change .

I power these separately because it confused me massively with 1 psu and it shorting out ( so implant isn’t powered )

R resistor ( presumably not required now as 2 psu’s ) ?

B lit button 

Don’t understand what’s wrong here ???

00F3F414-EEB5-4548-B432-508DFE7851C5.jpeg

49557970-34F8-4EA5-84DE-C9A69DB4812C.jpeg

Edited by pocster

• 1 month later...

Bought a small relay . Wired this up and it works properly I.e as I would expect it to work . The software though leaves a lot to be desired - but I can work round those issues . So now I have a video doorbell using no cloud , no subscription and good luck to anyone who wants to hack it !