fixing cladding to external wall insulation

gravelrash

Had enough of Timber frame companies trying it on with cost and upfront design cost...so Looking at simple Single aerated block and external insulation.

I need to clad exterior walls as part of planning stipulation. Has anyone any experience / knowledge of how to fix cladding battens through insulation in to wall?

See attached quick sketch... I was thinking possibly using a standard exterior wall insulation fixing but replacing the plugs internal nail with a long screw that would pass through the batten and insulation plug in to the wall  but the standard plugs only seem to be 8mm dia so screw would be about 4mm dia. ...not very strong!

Any wisdom out there?

external insulation.pdf

What do you mean a single aerated block, is this a house or an extension 

you cannot build a single skin of block work it won’t have enough strength in it. 

You can lay them flat at 220 wide, but that is then very heavy

the problem is fixings everything will get very expensive if you need a fixing to go through a 25mm batten then 100mm of insulation 

have you looked at icf blocks. 

I don’t think you can expect a timberframe co to do much design without a bit of commitment from you. 

I assume the EWI people could not point you in the right direction?  Because your cladding is 200mm from the wall and the wall is soft block you may need to have an independent framework built off the ground retained with some long fixings.

I'd probably use vertical battens hanging from the rafter ends at the top, with additional anchors at vertical intervals fixed through the insulation back to the wall (using something like the Fischer Thermax / EJOT SDF S 10H, if the insulation isn't too thick).

I'd avoid aerated block as it tends to crack, however if you do use it you might just get away with using warm roof nails instead of screwed anchors.