New member about to go on a trip of a lifetime

crispy_wafer

Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself as I've been lurking for a few days reading loads of good threads making notes of good idea as I go.

Started this journey with just a pipe dream many years ago, Mrs Crispy and I are now at a stage where we have designed what we want, planning permission approved, drawings submitted to building regs.  At that point I hadn't really outlined any particular list of must have's in regards to spec, a few days reading later the list is now growing.

We have the land with an old bungalow onsite that we are living in, the new dwelling will be built then everything other structure will be removed.  The new place will be a Chalet style dormer, brick and block structure with a bit of structural steel, all coming to a smidge under 200sq m.

My big issue's now are how to keep costs under control, I've already had some estimates from a big local co, and full turnkey finish ranged between 225 and 280 dependent on spec.  I nearly fell out of my chair when the reality hit home.  I'm thinking am I being too ambitious - not sure.  We always thought that we'd never be in a position to go turnkey, so doing stuff ourselves was always going to be on the cards, We've got 150 to get as far as we can, there is a bit more but I like getting bang for my buck, and I've then got to plan and rebuild outside structures as Planners insisted I take everything down, to incorporate the floor area into the new build, on top of that I've had PD rights zapped too. 

Is it feasible to get to a watertight stage then take over yourself, managing it, DIY'ing, financing on the fly doing what you can and calling in the trades as and when needed.   I know there's going to be jobs I can do and stuff I cannot, a bit of savvy buying here and there to snag bargains.

Anyways enough of my ramblings, thanks for being a great source of information.

What size of build?

I am expecting to complete for £1000 per square metres for a nearly 150 square metre house, so within your budget.  that was getting a builder to put up the bare shell and me doing everything else myself.  It has taken 5 years so far but that has been budget contrained not just that I am a slow worker.

£1000 per square metre is the lowest you can expect and that is with you doing a lot of work.

I'm on about £1500 ( I guess)  a square meter (146 m sq) . And thats working too hard, too long, moaning too much, enjoying small bits of it. It's 'King hard work.

31 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

[...]thanks for being a great source of information.

I could not have got this far without help from the folk here. The advice and moral support (well, some immoral)  is critical. 

I'm at the same stage as you and had to scale back. I've spent about £25K on professional fees Can you scale back, and get the shell up and half ready to live in and then DIY the rest as best you Can? PS having PD rights removes doesn't mean you cant do stuff, but it means you need to apply for planning permission (when the building is habitable, I think) rather than it being an automatic right. 

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

What size of build?

I am expecting to complete for £1000 per square metres for a nearly 150 square metre house, so within your budget.  that was getting a builder to put up the bare shell and me doing everything else myself.  It has taken 5 years so far but that has been budget contrained not just that I am a slow worker.

£1000 per square metre is the lowest you can expect and that is with you doing a lot of work.

We are looking approx. 200 sq metres.  There will definitely be an element of taking some time, looking after costs to this project  I've got it into my head to get the builder to get as far as he can on budget, then crack on myself.  I guess working out a detailed order of events once the structure is up will help in this respect, hopefully then I can be looking/planning one or two steps ahead. 

Was your builder content at just doing the shell?  The few I've spoken to so far, immediately talk about turnkey, have had to reign them in a little.  One wasn't interested in just doing the shell, but they were a big local firm so I can understand it from their business model.  Thing is, there's a high chance of me calling them or their subbies back in as and when my skills are lacking or when funds allow.

16 hours ago, Jilly said:

I'm at the same stage as you and had to scale back. I've spent about £25K on professional fees Can you scale back, and get the shell up and half ready to live in and then DIY the rest as best you Can?

I saw that mentioned in a thread earlier and made a note of it, I know others are doing it, but living in half a shell, how does that stand with the paperwork side of things, sign off, insurance.  I could quite easily make the downstairs two bed.  Would make that path easier to achieve I guess.

plan.JPG

My builder was great and did just the shell (I was supposed to do all structural timber, roof etc but became ill so he did it). You’re trump card is you have the existing build to live in, some have to rent or live in a caravan during the build which is harder. I concentrated on what I knew o could do and was good at and subbed out stuff I did not want to do.

16 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I'm on about £1500 ( I guess)  a square meter (146 m sq) . And thats working too hard, too long, moaning too much, enjoying small bits of it. It's 'King hard work.

I could not have got this far without help from the folk here. The advice and moral support (well, some immoral)  is critical. 

Question is, at this stage, and knowing what you know now, you would do it all again :) ?

Edited by crispy_wafer

At a glance it looks like you could live in the downstairs like a bungalow. The recession may force labour costs down and material costs up. Or not. If you can live for free on site, slow is cheaper.

There was a 'what I've learned/would have done differently' thread a while back. Getting SAP calculations done early was advised and I've done just that and a serious cold bridge was spotted, so very useful. 

Edited by Jilly

17 hours ago, ProDave said:

What size of build?

@ProDave is virtually the same as us - 5yrs in, groundworks & frame & exterior brick work by others then everything else = us.  Its slow, hard, grinding stuff but you do save a lot of £.  I've got a full time job as well.