Newbie extension question

Evening all, I’m hoping I can get some invaluable advice from some experts I’m looking into building an extension and a bit confused with PD and planning permissions. 
Could someone advice if I’m allowed to build an extension to the side of the property without planning permission I’m looking at extending 9ft out from the side to the full side of the house and removing the garage.

53BEA4F5-24C6-48B5-B4D9-A2551C6CED9E.jpeg

Hi thanks for your reply peter I have but still a bit confused as the planning portal states “ 6. Side extensions to be single storey.
Width of side extension must not have a width greater than half the width of the original house“

it’s confusing me as to how they define the width ? With the front door being on the side. 
does that mean I can only build half an extension on the side and not the full length of it 

No it means that the extension as you see it cannot be more than half the width of that front elevation which looking at it is from the downpipe in the middle and about 15ft not including the porch..?? That could limit you to 7.5ft, not sure if it would include the porch - @DevilDamo ..? Thoughts...?

6 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why are people so concerned about building something under permitted development?

why not just apply for permission to build what you want. 

Confused. dot com. 

Because there is less scope for neighbours and planners to object if you stick to PD rules? 

10 hours ago, Deanj1971 said:

Ah thanks Peter if the house was 18ft front elevation I could in theory build 9ft out on the side under PD the full depth of the bungalow 

That's my understanding of it, worth checking with the duty planner though or even the Building Control team once you know what you want to do. 

Hi yes the porch is part of the original house, if the front elevation is 18ft and the porch is 3ft does that mean then that I have 10.5 ft to play with to build on the side ? 
the porch would be coming down in favour of a full depth side extension. 

On 20/05/2020 at 18:24, PeterW said:

No it means that the extension as you see it cannot be more than half the width of that front elevation which looking at it is from the downpipe in the middle and about 15ft not including the porch..?? That could limit you to 7.5ft, not sure if it would include the porch - @DevilDamo ..? Thoughts...?

Apologies, have just seen this.

I have actually answered the question for the OP on another forum ?

@Deanj1971 You’d definitely get away with a 9ft wide extension running the full length/depth of the dwelling. You mentioned about the porch being original and therefore using that to increase your width allowance. Although that could be technically correct, it does get a little problematic and confusing due to the position, size and shape of the porch. Planning and the PD rules for front side and rear extensions may come into play. Your best and safest bet would be to extend half the width of the dwelling excluding the porch.

However, you shouldn’t have any major issues if you did try and seek formal Planning and all really for the sake of an additional £103.00, should you choose to secure a CoL.