Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program

ProDave

Just on the BT boxes, have they switched off the BT OpenZone hotspot by default yet ..?? It used to be a setting in the modem where you basically broadcast an open hotspot to anyone who has a BT account to use for their phone. All legit but it does share your bandwidth on the wire and I know a few people who disabled it and found their speeds improved. 

I have just modified the script to just ping 8.8.8.8 once a minute and save the output from that to a log file.  I'll see if that picks up any anomalies.

But so far, since connecting the new router I am not aware of any drop outs

12 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

It is functionally identical to your bash script, except it doesn't try to connect to Google and sends the results to SamKnows instead of a CSV file.

I was being a bit facetious.

I may have to see if I can get another script that logs more interesting data.  Using the phone as an internet enabled hotspot could be useful though as the range is quite good.  It could be set up to activate a switch that opens up gates and doors, or just turn lights on.

Flattens the phones batteries quick though.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

On 21/05/2020 at 16:13, dpmiller said:

Surely roadside fibre cabinets only apply to FTTC, plain old ADSL *is* copper pair back to the exchange...

In our case the exchange would be about 8km, but the Cabinet isn't much better as it's at the far end of the nearby village, so still about 4km of copper.

They do some really strange things sometimes. In our case they put a new cabinet half way between the village and the exchange in the next village. Then to power the cabinet they had to continue the trench the rest of the way to our village. Nobody seems to know why they didn't put the cabinet in our village and run fibre the whole way.