Skirting Choices

Ralph

Hi all, We are going round the houses on choices of skirting and architrave and I'm looking for some opinions.  We know we want something plain and are leaning towards a very simple whited painted MDF,  square profile no bevel or pencil round for both the skirting and architrave.

We can''t decide on the dimensions more specifically the thickness. We're thinking of skirting = 18mm x 120mm and facing = 18mm x 95mm so that they are flush with no skirting blocks. 

Do these dimension sound about right, would 18mm be too thick?

With the lock down it's difficult to see any actually examples so any thoughts would be welcome. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

Hi all, We are going round the houses on choices of skirting and architrave and I'm looking for some opinions.  We know we want something plain and are leaning towards a very simple whited painted MDF,  square profile no bevel or pencil round for both the skirting and architrave.

We can''t decide on the dimensions more specifically the thickness. We're thinking of skirting = 18mm x 120mm and facing = 18mm x 95mm so that they are flush with no skirting blocks. 

Do these dimension sound about right, would 18mm be too thick?

With the lock down it's difficult to see any actually examples so any thoughts would be welcome. 

Thanks

Tip - use something with a narrow top to it, anything bigger becomes a dust catcher - we have clean house yet the first floor skirting constantly seems to look filthy - combo of carpet fibre and normal dust. If you dry clean it it still looks a bit dirty, if you damp clean it you end up with streaks of dust spread along the wall!

After that fiasco we started using the more traditional styles - Georgian or Victorian.

Edited by Carrerahill

5 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Tip - use something with a narrow top to it, anything bigger becomes a dust catcher - we have clean house yet the first floor skirting constantly seems to look filthy - combo of carpet fibre and normal dust. If you dry clean it it still looks a bit dirty, if you damp clean it you end up with streaks of dust spread along the wall!

After that fiasco we started using the more traditional styles - Georgian or Victorian.

I think this modern satin paint is the culprit. Old gloss was good not much stuck to it. I went round the other week and redid the top edges of the skirts it kitchen diner and hall. I have a weekly cleaner who wipes these edges and muck still became ingrained