Electric Switches specification

ToughButterCup

In the process of specifying our house lighting switches. We'd like to use as many occupancy sensors as possible (back door, loos, boot room, store room and maybe stair well). We'd also like to use those light switches that are switched by (say) a hand being placed near the switch - ie. no moving part in the switch. I have heard rumours about tiny LED lights which have PIR in built: strikes me as a perfect system for those of us who need a Precision Approach Pathway Indicator System (PAPI O.o) for the loo at night.

When it comes to specifying in this area, I don't know what the Hell I'm on about.... you get the picture.

Is there a Ladybird book for electric switch specifying? Or an online resource for neophytes  like us?

I want to avoid the scenario in which the electrician ends up doing our specifying for us.  We're both prepared to put in the leg work.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Occupancy sensors are available, though not he most reliable technology in the world.

But I don't know of any touch sensitive switches so I can't help you with that.

Low level low power LED's to "light the way to the loo" aka aircraft emergency exit lighting on the floor?

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Occupancy sensors are available, though not he most reliable technology in the world.

I agree. They have a habit of being rather "clunky" and "laggy". 360 ceiling mounted probably offer the best solution for personal lighting as they have a good field of detection throughout the room. 

Youll also need lux control otherwise your lights are going to come in in the daytime when you don't need them.

Dont forget that you then have the added issue of "on time". What will trigger the "off"? Unless you've got some form of intelligent lighting system where the "state" is known by various inputs you're pretty much restricted to a timer. I promise you whatever time you choose will be wrong a lot of the time! Life is just not that defined. 

I remember putting a pir in our downstairs loo years ago to control the light. It worked great until you went for a "long dump" :D you ended up having to wave your arms around to get the bloody thing to trigger again! 

• Like 1

Here you go, Legrand; top make.

Link picked at random, have a look for Adorne / The Wave

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01IU7QLNY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481176776&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=legrand+the+wave&dpPl=1&dpID=21qlLscQEJL&ref=plSrch

I can ask my Schneider wholesaler who I've been using for 30 years about it (and what discount ;) )

Edited by Onoff