Left Over Concrete options

Hi - across the different floors and wall etc I'm expecting 6 pours and each of these is going to have some waste concrete. Id it viable to look to use this or should it be chucked out?

My intended use would be to create a level area of storage underneath my garage (whihc is on a platform with about 2.2m headroom. Currently is soil. I was thinking I could level this area, put down a bit of type 1,  put in some shuttering and some mesh then barrow down the excess concrete and place in here - area is 6m x 4m approx. So the levels would be built over the course of separate pours. Will that just be a total waste of time as the concrete will not be stable like this/ is the excess from the hopper/pump tube suitable?

Appreciate thoughts  on that vs paying to have it taken away

We made a 'pond' to which we added bit by over-ordered bit. That base has been used by everyone as a dry, flat conveniently placed work area. Very useful indeed. Didn't have the choice of improving a garage.

I decided to do that as creative way of coping with the flash of anger and rage I experienced when one tradesman tipped large material handler bucket's worth of concrete down some banking of ours. Man I was annoyed. Getting on for £300 worth of C30 just tipped down a bank. Furious doesn't cover it.

Now, we plan to crack it open with 'feather wedges' and see if we can grow Sea Pinks....

Still mad just thinking about it.?

• Like 1

Sounds good to me.

You can normally get the amount you need pretty accurately especially if you have 5 pours before the last one. And you can order a set amount of concrete plus - so if you need some more then they will deliver what you need. Maybe worth checking with the concrete company.

If it is a Schwing type lorry pump they have a fair bit of wash out waste as well.  If you want to do the concrete base you will need to get rid of the topsoil first.  I have found that washout / leftover readymix seems to set very well.

20 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

If it is a Schwing type lorry pump they have a fair bit of wash out waste as well.  If you want to do the concrete base you will need to get rid of the topsoil first.  I have found that washout / leftover readymix seems to set very well.

Great - yes we're leveling the area and compacting some type 1 first. Figured a bit of light mesh in there as well may be useful to stop cracks though may be over-kill.

22 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Is there a way to create some kind of blocks or sleepers by splitting a large area with formwork? Does it make sense? 

For me probably not got use for them  but could be good for others