Swimming pool ventilation/corrosion

Dust Raker

Am considering installing a small pool either in the house or its own building. I know that ventilation and dehumidification will be essential , but what about the corrosive nature of the chlorine and humidity. Will I need to install vapour barriers , and if so what material / how ? If in an outbuilding , I assume that we will have lots of insulation and then a barrier on the inside of it ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A good vapour barrier across the warm side of your walls and ceiling insulation is critically important. If attaching to a house try and make sure that you have the pool room negatively pressurised compared to the rest of the house to avoid the humid air migrating outside the pool room

Chlorine rich humid air is highly corrosive so you will need to choose materials carefully for the pool room. Also, water sloshing around on the floor needs careful thought especially if you go for a level-deck pool design.

40 minutes ago, Dust Raker said:

Am considering installing a small pool either in the house or its own building....

Ugh! They are massive money pits. Every pool at which I worked (summer lifeguard, ASA swimming coach) whether indoor or outdoor, public or private always had corrosion issues.

Steer well clear of even very small amounts of Chlorine gas: 50 meters or so in air. Its very dangerous indeed. Don't use it.

There are plenty of Chlorine products turned into tabletised  form, that are designed for a domestic installation. 

Thanks for your comments so far. All thoughts and knowledge greatfully received.

@AnonymousBosch : am very conscious of the budget thing and in particular that I don't understand the corrosion issues which is why I was fishing for knowledge. Our requirement is for family fitness / health rather than just leisure. Am very wary of putting in house and making more problems in the future!

@Ian : thanks for that . Any thoughts what might be the most suitable material to achieve the barrier?

15 hours ago, AliG said:

I will put an update in the original post.

Thank you , that's a good thread and very interesting to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Great pool, you ve done a fabulous job with it. 

• Like 1