Plasterboard disposal

Bitpipe

So after filling a few skips so far and being told "no plasterboard", the penny only dropped that this might be difficult stuff to get rid of at the plastering stage.

We have quite a large house so generated quite a bit of scrap, especially the rooms in roof where there are lots of triangular sections. Turns out that the local skip firm will do a plasterboard only skip but at an increased cost to normal to cover the additional landfill cost.

I got a 4.5 yd for £265 inc VAT (Berkshire) and it was just big enough (note to self, always get a skip one size larger than you think you need). Quite tricky to fill it efficiency too, I ended up stacking larger bits up the sides and kept the middle for small bits, which I regularly compacted with a sledge. 

I did call a few of the industry recycling schemes but they're only geared up for big sites.

A few skip companies go by weight but the challenge of keeping a skip of board dry put me off, not paying to dispose of rain water :)

Note that there's no issue in disposing of plaster itself in a normal skip, we've accumulated quite a few bags of scraps and will have quite a few more before we're done. 

image1 (4).JPG

Edited by Bitpipe

Just now, ProDave said:

Okay, this is brobably a dumb question, but what is the significance of blue plasterboard?  I know about green, pink, and ordinary grey, but what's the blue stuff?

It's the soundblock version, about half as dense again as the normal (35kg a sheet). We have it on ceilings in the basement and ground floor and also used where we had pocket doors as the void obviously can't be stuffed with rockwool.

Also enclosed the downstairs loo in it to prevent any awkward situations when entertaining :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

My front garden is full of my of cuts. Tip wouldn't take it so I dug a hole when doing the drains and buried it. About half a large skips worth .

We had an old brick soakaway in the back for the old house that would have taken the lot...had we not filled it in a while back. As I understand*, disposal is only an issue in landfill where the high sulphur content in the gypsum reacts with biowaste to form Hydrogen Sulphide gas.

*Ok, I googled it...

31 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

put it on free cycle :D:D you never know......

Why not? 

I keep walking past skips thinking there's £20 of insulation here, £40 there etc, just chucked in the skip.   Wasteful buggers.

i need to start fishing it out, if I had anywhere to store it

Feel free to dump it in any of the number of pull ins along the single track lane to my house. Every other F****** does! 

For variety you might try leaving large loads of conifers from garden clearance jobs, stacks of old tyres, asbestos garage roofs or the odd mountain of cable sheathing (copper removed).

Favourite spot seems to be against the "NO FLY TIPPING" sign.

Gypsum is used to break down heavy clay soils, if you throw it in the cement mixer with a couple of bricks it'll powder up, then just line the bottom of your skip with it or bag it as sell it :D

We had no problem at all with plasterboard in skips.  Our skip company (Maidments: http://www.rvmaidment.co.uk/ ) recycle a hell of a lot from every skip load; they empty every skip on the floor of a big warehouse and then sort it and give you back a certificate with all the constituent parts in each load and how much of it was recycled and  how much went to landfill.

I rang them and said we had a load of plasterboard and did they want to send a second skip for it, to keep it separate.  They just asked if I could keep all the plasterboard waste at one end of the skip, separated from the general waste.  I got a labourer to make a plasterboard vertical divider in the skip and break up all the plasterboard into small bits and keep it at one end.  Worked a treat, we had no extra charge from the skip company and they recycled all the gypsum from that load. 

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with all these recycling certificates, no one seems to want to see them, so I've just kept them in a folder.

Found out something this week.

my local 'tip' has a special locked/covered skip thing for plasterboard and I've disposed of quite a bit that way. From 1st May that stopped.

It needs to be taken to a weigh bridge tip place that's miles away. (expletive deleted) knows how that will work for a few boards. Oh I know, it'll get hidden in burnable waste :rolleyes:

I don't like councils imposing "limits" on what you can dispose of. Do they think if you can't dispose of it responsibly that it will simply cease to exist? Then they wonder where all the fly tipped stuff comes from that costs them MORE to deal with.

Reminds me of my BIL who went to the tip in his Landrover. By the garden waste bin there was a sign saying "one vehicle, one bag" They tried to stop him when he dragged a 1 ton builders bag full of garden waste out of the back of the Landrover, until he pointed out that he only had one vehicle and only one bag of rubbish.

I salvaged the empty MBC insulation bags from the skip (nearly filled it on their own) and fill a few a week with general site waste. I pop 2 or 3 a week into the regular wheelie bin with a bag of household waste in the top. Saves on having a skip hanging around site slowly filling up... 

1 minute ago, Bitpipe said:

I salvaged the empty MBC insulation bags from the skip (nearly filled it on their own) and fill a few a week with general site waste. I pop 2 or 3 a week into the regular wheelie bin with a bag of household waste in the top. Saves on having a skip hanging around site slowly filling up... 

Now there is a devious plan. I would never have thought about that one. :ph34r:

Most of my waste currently is plastic wrappng. Why does everyrthing have to come wrapped in several layers of plastic?

Just now, ProDave said:

Most of my waste currently is plastic wrappng. Why does everyrthing have to come wrapped in several layers of plastic?

Yep, a lot of the waste since the 'big work' has been plastic wrapping, packaging and waste from plumbing and electrical first fix. It's bulky but not heavy so the bin men don't seem to pay too much attention. I'd say if I put a bag of rubble in the wheelie bin they'd notice...

I also leave cardboard out in the rain which makes it easier to tear up and put in the recycle bin - I'm also pretty obsessive to ensure the workers plastic bottles, cans, Daily Stars etc get recycled.

All councils are clamping down on tips.

Nottinghamshire have introduced a scheme whereby you must register and prove that you are a resident of the county. The good news is that you can then take ANY vehicle! I've had three pickup truck fulls of rubbish to the tip this week, which would not have been permitted pre-registration.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Wait till you're finishing the house off and see the amount of cardboard you end up with. I got a metal drum and burnt it as I was getting suspicious looks from going to the tip so much. They thought I was a business I was dumping that much.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Wait till you're finishing the house off and see the amount of cardboard you end up with. I got a metal drum and burnt it as I was getting suspicious looks from going to the tip so much. They thought I was a business I was dumping that much.

I'm stockpiling cardboard at the moment. All my wood fibre board came covered in cardboard (and plastic) so I have a lot of very large sheets or cardboard.  It's all waiting for when we have the walls and ceilings skimmed to cover the floor with.  THEN comes the big bonfire.