Change to design after permission granted

Hi All,

I am thinking about a change to one of the buildings I have been granted planning permission for and just wanted to know the best way forward in terms of the planners. The build has not been started yet.

See attached drawing of current design.

I was thinking about taking the first floor (side elevation top left) south wall (all of it including the windows) back 2 meters. This would then give me an undercover outdoor area.

Everything else, roof, walls, ground floor, overall size etc would remain as it is now on the plans and has approval for. There would also be a need for a slight change to the roof windows in that they would either be reduced in number or moved slightly.

Does this usually mean a change to the application or can it be dealt with in a more simple manor?

I am hoping that it can be simple as I am not changing the external size or footprint but maybe I am placing too much hope in our planning system ?

Thanks 

Office Studio Elevations.png

1 minute ago, Field_of_Dreams said:

Hi All,

I am thinking about a change to one of the buildings I have been granted planning permission for and just wanted to know the best way forward in terms of the planners. The build has not been started yet.

See attached drawing of current design.

I was thinking about taking the first floor (side elevation top left) south wall (all of it including the windows) back 2 meters. This would then give me an undercover outdoor area.

Everything else, roof, walls, ground floor, overall size etc would remain as it is now on the plans and has approval for. There would also be a need for a slight change to the roof windows in that they would either be reduced in number or moved slightly.

Does this usually mean a change to the application or can it be dealt with in a more simple manor?

I am hoping that it can be simple as I am not changing the external size or footprint but maybe I am placing too much hope in our planning system ?

Thanks 

Just email or phone your planning officer and ask them what they will accept. 

I spoke to my officer, she told me to email it over and alter drawings to suit and she's put it through as a non-material variation. Not sure if moving a wall 2 meters would count...

You would normally have three options...

- Non-material amendment

- Variation of Condition

- Revised Full application (as I assume this didn’t go through as a Householder application)

The NMA is the quickest but the LPA do not make it clear as to what is classed as non-material. The VoC is definitely one way but can take up to 8 weeks to be determined. The revised Full application is also another way but again, can take up to 8 weeks to be determined.

You’s have to pay application fees for the NMA and VoC applications with the latter being the more expensive. You’d be exempt from having to pay another application fee if you went down the revised application route, providing the re-submission is within 12mths of the previous and you haven’t had a free go on the site in the past.

As above, check with the Planning Officer as to how they think the amendments can be dealt with.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Non-material_amendment_to_planning_permission

Section 96a of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, amended by the Planning Act 2008, permits applications for non-material amendment to planning permissions. This avoids the need for a new planning application to be submitted, allowing instead for the existing permission to be amended whilst remaining subject to the original conditions and time limits.

There is no statutory definition for the sort of changes that might be considered non material. Instead it depends on the context, and is determined by the local planning authority. It is advisable therefore to consult with the local planning authority when considering amendments. An application can then be made, and a small fee is payable.

The Town and Country Planning Act suggests that in deciding whether a change is material or not, a local planning authority must have regard to the effect of the change, together with any previous changes made, on the planning permission originally granted.

Where a change is non-material, it is unlikely that public consultation will be necessary, although anyone who may be affected must be informed, and may then make representations to the local authority. The application should be determined within 28 days unless a different time frame has been agreed.

I would send ammended drawings and ask them to advise if the change can be handled as a non-material ammendment. Perhaps include your email address in hope it might speed up a reply.

If they say yes then bang in the forms with another set of drawing and the fee.

Edited by Temp

A Section 73 application is a Variation of Condition application, which is completely different to a Non-material amendment application. The application fee, process and timescales are different. Just out of interest, what type of application was the original, Householder or Full?

Ok. If you were to proceed down the VoC route, you’d have to pay an application fee of £234.00 with a determination period of up to 8 weeks. Your other option is to submit a revised Full application as you’d be exempt from having to pay the application fee but would still have a determination period of up to 8 weeks.

Just a note on the “free go” is that the revised application would need to be submitted within 12mths of the previous and you haven’t used up a free go on the ‘site’ before.