Garage for self build - integrated, detached or none at all?

Spainy86

Going through the designing stage of my self build at the moment. From a personal perspective, I am using this build as a “trial” for a bigger build in the future so have to consider build costs vs resale values when making the design decisions.

On that basis, what are people’s thoughts on garages and the build cost v resale values?

It seems that very few people actually use garages anymore to store cars so I am wondering whether from a value perspective, my build would be better off with no garage at all, an additional room on the ground floor and two parking spaces out front or whether that would reduce the target market significantly because people still want houses with garages?

If that is still the case, could anyone give an indication of the additional cost that a standard single detached garage would add to a self build (against an integrated garage) in the event that I decide to go for the best of both worlds with extra internal space and a garage?

I keep my classic landrover in my garage.  It ensures there is space to get one of the other cars in if they need work.  Otherwise most people fill their garage with junk and can never get a car in it.

For me a garage, or at the very least space to build one, is a must have with any house I buy.  So even if you don't build one, make sure you leave space so one can be added later on.

Attached will cost less to build than detached, and most people would find that more useful.

Like @ProDave I have a garage/workshop fir my classic and many projects but I think we are in the minority , most people don’t “use” a garage for parking/working on cars, perhaps just leave space for whatever the owner wants for their life. (I built my garage/workshop before the house so I had a place to work from as a self builder).

We are building a detached double garage with an attached storeroom. The garage will be for parking only - the only other item that will live in the garage is a genny which I intend to wire up the house so in the event of a power cut I can flick a switch and fire it up.

I intend to have enough storage elsewhere so that the garage is clutter free. I suspect I'm in a small group here though as a detached garage just becomes a storeroom whilst an attached garage will just get converted into another room for the house ?‍♂️