Solar pump problem

Robert Clark

Hi Guys

Looks like my Grundfos Solar 15-65 pump has packed up.

Its making a buzzing noise, the body is red hot but it’s not pumping.

Ive removed the large screw cap and turned the spindle, which appears to move.

Any ideas how I can fix it?

An identical replacement is £300, and I was wondering if a regular central heating pump would be a suitable replacement 

Thanks 

There is a start capacitor, probably inside the terminal box, a big cylinder with 2 wires emerging. That has probably failed.

Turn the power off and lift the lid off the terminal box and post a picture.

• Like 2

You can use a regular circulation pump if it's a sealed glycol system , but, it will degrade somewhat. If it's an open system then you can use a bronze body pump. £300 seems stupid high, I'm sure you can get solar circulators way cheaper than that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miek said:

You can use a regular circulation pump if it's a sealed glycol system , but, it will degrade somewhat. If it's an open system then you can use a bronze body pump. £300 seems stupid high, I'm sure you can get solar circulators way cheaper than that. 

Looks like the inlet / outlet connections are narrower than a regular pump 

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is a start capacitor, probably inside the terminal box, a big cylinder with 2 wires emerging. That has probably failed.

5F521971-2790-4115-9D5A-463B120FFCB1.thumb.jpeg.897b839de4364b6cffaa5275594cb155.jpeg

956696ED-8469-4D3C-85C5-31154383B047.thumb.jpeg.8c44f9cf87ac51b39f2b66029918a00a.jpeg

FEE8ADC4-1AE9-4EFD-B86B-53033D3E51E1.thumb.jpeg.fcea0cb703f5ca7aec7a06e774c30c61.jpeg

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is this the same thing?

41E7E81B-EFF2-466E-B5B0-112509981467.thumb.png.b3db868b390a6b46f5d58f00f6e0e722.png

3 hours ago, Robert Clark said:

Found a better one (I think) on EBay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273634770355

That will do, but before you order it, check the dimensions against the one that is in there, to make sure it will fit into the space you have

P.S there is no absolute guarantee this is the fault, but if you are sure the impeller is free to rotate and the fact the armature seems intact is is quite likely.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That will do, but before you order it, check the dimensions against the one that is in there, to make sure it will fit into the space you have

P.S there is no absolute guarantee this is the fault, but if you are sure the impeller is free to rotate and the fact the armature seems intact is is quite likely.

Dimensions are close thanks 

Any idea how to release the existing wires ?

4 hours ago, Robert Clark said:

Looks like the inlet / outlet connections are narrower than a regular pump 

Might be so, some European pumps use 1" or 3/4” BSP fittings, obviously need to check the fitting accurately.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 13:36, ProDave said:

The capacitor has just arrived and the pump works !

Might have saved me £300!

Thanks very much !

• Like 2