Simpler stairs: concrete winder

Watching Building the Dream the other day ( Series 9 Episode 8 , 21:50 ish) Debbie saw this staircase and loves it....

starirs.thumb.jpg.9d3bf3b21104f12d8ea1ca5180bf3b05.jpg

The concrete winder that is.... or concrete block or whatever you call it. I like it as well, partly it because it also simplifies the stair run.

The bottom of our stairs are surrounded on two sides by concrete walls. To make Debbie's dream come true, all I need to do, I think, is pour a concrete block of exactly the right dimensions to enable a BRegs compliant stair run to be built on top of it. The block itself also needs to be exactly correct in terms of risers and run.

And that means serious shuttering and a sore back I expect. Cure time doesn't matter too much, we have some nicely textured wood left over for the top surface.

I think I can make this happen. Any gottchas you can think of?

Is that the one where when they took the shuttering off the finish was not what they expected?  They grew to like it but was not initially up to expectations.

That is one big lump of concrete to have sitting there.

Personally a quarter landing and second matching timber stair would float my boat.-

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You could bulk up the centre area with aerated blocks to save on weight, just needs 100 mm all around the outside in concrete. 

a good place to get rid of some hardcore waste -deep in the concrete -

• Thanks 1

You'll need a poker too to vibrate the concrete into every nook and cranny. 

Once your ply "mould" is built you can do the internal corners of what will be the step nosings with tooled silicone to give a nice radius.

Guessing a 3:2:1 mix using 10mm pea shingle rather than 20mm all in ballast might be better?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You could bulk up the centre area with aerated blocks to save on weight, just needs 100 mm all around the outside in concrete. 

Good idea. Much easier to demolish when you remove the shuttering and it looks sh!t! 

?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If you do this carefully you could incorporate mat wells on each step or recess features in the side. 

Line your mould with sheets of glued on DPM and the finish will be like glass. Top step where you pour from might look different.....

Ooh...lights. Or infill the "mat wells" with coloured gravel, crushed glass etc and clear resin....

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

The rise and going of all stairs in a flight must be the same.  I have always taken that to mean ALL if them.  Are you suggesting this is treated as two separate flights so they could be different?  I think that would be very odd, so I would try and make them all the same.

How about creating what you want with pre case concrete steps

W0308STE0010_0.jpg

You will get a better, guaranteed finish on each step.  you just have to build up blockwork at both sides to support them, and render the blockwork.

• Like 1

@AnonymousBosch If you are DIYing the whole thing then it's likely that the design will be a bigger issue than the construction. Eg: that initial flight of stairs from the Building the Dream house in your photo doesn't comply with Part K of the Building Regs in numerous areas of its design. The risers & goings are all different from each other as well as being different from the timber section of the stair. The riser can't be vertical like that but should be angled as the diagram below from Part K. Also, the landing width is made non-compliant by the way in which the sides of the timber stair bears onto the concrete landing, obstructing the full width of the stair. The handrail is also non-compliant for numerous reasons but that's a separate issue.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ian said:

@AnonymousBosch If you are DIYing the whole thing then it's likely that the design will be a bigger issue than the construction. ...

So far I have

• the design needs to be BR compliant : read Part K
  • does not need to be solid concrete : pad it out with blocks or similar : 100mm of concrete is fine
  • consider how to radius the steps : silicone , plastic ; 
  • careful with the landing width
  • line the block with soffit board maybe?
  • consider adapting precast blocks

It's obvious that @Ian's point is the key to success on this one. So, I'll get on with the design and post it here.

Thanks everyone.

Ian

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Ahhh, heard about those but never used them.  I'll shred some old shirts then.....

Weird stuff. A handful goes a long way in the mix. Can leave the surface a little "hairy". I meant to use the fibres when I did the bathroom slab. This as well as the A142 mesh in there. I forgot the fibres!

When it came to do the wet room corner I couldn't find the bag of unused fibres so bought more...then found the first bag.

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Because then it wouldn't be concrete. 

I have just reread your initial post, is it something that looks the same that Debbie likes, or does she specifically want a lump of concrete that looks like a 1950's prefabricated staircase in an inner city council built, by lowest tendered price contractor, sink estate, tower block.

If that is what she is after, you will have to train the cat to wee on it.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1