Electric Changing Points in Town Centre

Ferdinand

File under slightly off-topic.

I am about to comment on a planning app for a gateway site into a local town centre.

Does anyone know a bit of detail about how vehicle spaces with chargers are managed wrt making sure that they are used, stopping blocking, how much money they pay etc.

eg Do individuals book them? Are they required to be using the charger all the time they are parked? Do they book in for X kWh etc?

Unfortunately the active policy document is a guide written in 2005, so it needs a bit of pressure to get something more appropriate.

Ferdinand

Think they are mostly owned by private companies that set their own rules?

I don't think many will allow booking in advance? Except perhaps... 

https://www.sourcelondon.net/question/how-do-i-reserve-charge-point

There are several home charger sharing networks and they allow people to book.

Also some movement on preventing ICEing.. 

https://www.alfapower.co.uk/alfa-power-wages-war-on-iceing/

Enter EV Parking Management (EVPM) — a company specially developed to resolve the issue of ICEd electric vehicle (EV) charging bays.

Regulated by the British Parking Association (BPA) and a member of the Approved Operator Scheme, EVPM has installed ANPR and CCTV systems at several Alfa Power sites in the UK and is successfully ensuring all ICE drivers are fined if they park in an Alfa Power energised bay.

It is also worth noting that being an EV driver does not mean you automatically escape from parking enforcement. There is a small minority of EV drivers who feel that owning an EV allows them to park in an energised bay while they aren’t charging. This is just as bad as ICEing, and at an Alfa Power charger, it will land you with a fine.

Yep.

This development is of an old bus station, and involves a 100 bed hotel, attached restaurant and 3 others, and 100+ parking spaces.

As far as i can make out, there is due to be precisely one charge point.

Suspect it needs 5 now, and provision for 1/3 to 1/2 of it to have charge points in the future, as the regeneration plan runs up to at least 2033 and the lifetime of it will be until at least 2060.

F